Simple Question?

MrMinks2

Beginner
Oct 29, 2014
Has anyone compared the performance of IMR 7828 vs. IMR 7828 SSC? I noticed that in the QL data I've seen on this forum, IMR 7828 SSC seems to yield higher pressures/velocities. Any preferences?

I have used the two interchangeably in several loads without noting significant differences. IMR 7828 SSC meters better.

Takes up a little less space because of the smaller granules. I love it in my 280AI. Depending on where you are on your load chart pressure wise you may be able to use a little more SSC than 7828 because of the gradual size. But the burn rates are identical. Even IMR calls them completely interchangeable. As a precaution though if I were to interchange the powders I would drop back 10% and work back up in case of lot variations.

The burn rates for the two powders are identical in Quick Load.

I would guess that sometimes the list ranking powders that Quick Load generates is somewhat determined by the parameters that are used to generate it. As an example you an specify the max Load ratio if it is set to a maximum of 100% fill; long cut IMR7828 is going to hit a 100% ratio before the SSC will.

So sometimes it will be ranked a few places lower in the list with a lower velocity because the powder charge will be smaller.
If use the same charge by weight of either they will generate identical estimates of velocity and pressure.

Back