Sixteen Cents Worth of Shots?

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I had opportunity to go to the range yesterday to shoot a variety of rifles and conduct several tests. I finished some work with my 7mm RM. I was shooting 160 grain PT and Supreme 780. However, I have much better results from last winter with the PTs and H100V, so this data will be ignored. I also did some work with IMR 8208 XBR in my 30-06. I was using Sierra 165 grain SPBT and Hornady 150 grain SST. The groups averaged a little more than one inch, which isn't bad. I can likely fix that with some adjustment to the seating depth. However, velocities were not at all spectacular. IMR 4350 and/or IMR 4831 yield far better velocities and accuracy, so I'm not likely to exchange what I have for this. As I reported previously, I had very good success accuracy wise with the 168 grain E-Tip and Hunter, although velocities were about what I saw with the IMR 8202 XBR. Again, I'll likely stick with the older powders in this instance.

I was asked to work on a 7mm STW which just doesn't want to shoot the limited selection of commercial ammunition. I had worked up a couple of sets of loads with ABs and TSXs previously. The first work-up with AB did not shoot well at all, and the TSX showed promise. I narrowed the range for the group that shot well with the TSX and worked up a second set for the AB, and found what shows promise.

With 76 grains of H1000 (Nosler brass and F215 primers) the 160 grain AB shot a 0.66 inch group, which can be covered with a penny. Take my word for it fellows, a Canadian penny is the same size as a US penny. It may be worth more shortly. The following photo is somewhat blurred, but it at least gives an idea of what was popping.

P7080112.jpg

Using 82 grains of Magnum (Nosler brass and F215 primers) coupled with 160 grain TSXs, I produced a 0.42 inch group. Across the spectrum of loads tested, all were sub-MOA, which was very good for a new rifle and working under pressure as the owner wants it for a sheep hunt. I had to rush this out of my lab by this week.

Here's a shot of the best TSX group, readily covered by a Canadian dime. Again, that is the same size as a US dime, though it is gaining in strength.

P7080111.jpg

The gunsmiths and the owner of the rifle were pleased and agreed that they would take these results. I suspect that the rifle is capable of much better, and I could demonstrate that if I had more time. I have another 7mm STW waiting on me for load development, but I will have a little more time with it, I believe.

I also took my new 300 WSM to the range with me. I made up a series of loads to test both the 168 grain E-Tip and the 165 grain GMX. I used WLRM primers, IMR 4350 and WW brass in both sets of tests. Other than charge and seating depth, the components were constant. The GMX was quite inaccurate (up to 2.75 inch groups), though the SD was very good and quite consistent. I seated these 0.010 off the lands, as per conversations with ballisticians at Hornady. I seated the E-Tips 0.100 inch off the lands, and the SD was very good and very consistent in all the loads, and all the groups were right at one inch. I suspect that by playing with the seating depth, I'll find a tack driver with this bullet. I will be working with it again shortly while I have opportunity before hunting season.

I also tested some old 165 grain Combined Technology Fail Safes that were not being used. The groups were all in the one inch range and velocities ranged upward to 3025 fps. This might be worth playing with to use up these old bullets.

So where does the sixteen cents come from. I also tested a load using 200 grain Sierra SBT in this rifle. Across the spectrum of charges of VN560 powder used (with WLRM primers and virgin Norma brass), I saw a consistent one inch shooter with one load jumping out to 0.63 inches as I approached maximum charge.

P7080109.jpg

I do believe this would be a thumper of a load, for certain. Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer this grouping to the 200 grain AB when I test it shortly.

All in all, it was a productive day at the range. Temperatures began at about 23 C and crept upward to 34 C, which is scorching for northern British Columbia. The warmer weather is supposed to hold for the week, so it is possible I'll be able to complete all my television work and slip away to the range again before the week is out.

DR.Miike

I know that seating depth plays a critical role however so does the length of the magazine. Are these loads OK in the magazine? My STW and my 300 WhtyBee both are factory barrels that have been rechambered. To get anywhere near the lands I have to single load them and as you already know that doesn't work well in a hunting rifle. The STW is great with Hornady PSP's and the TSX it also likes the 180 Bergers which I am going to try again soon. So I have better than hunting accuracy with that rifle. I am looking for my best long range load to shoot with the rest of the summer.

These are great groups, your shooting skills are excellant.!!!!

Bill,

The cartridges cycle very well through the STW. Since I'm working on a deadline and need to provide the rifle by the weekend, there is no time to do too much more than a cursory load development. I am restricted by the magazine, so fine tuning the load would consist of adjusting the powder charge. It is a quality piece of equipment, and generally that means that something will work. I play the percentage game in working up my initial loads. Consequently, the need to develop a recipe arose when the factory ammunition didn't produce the accuracy the owner wanted to see. He wasn't satisfied with 1.25 inch groups.

I do anticipate focusing on the 168 grain E-Tip and the 165 grain GMX during the remainder of the summer. These are a couple of bullets that intrigue me. The 200 grain Sierra SPBT would be a hammer on black bear and moose. Hopefully, I'll have time to transition to the 200 grain AB. That much mass at the velocities generated would be a powerful punch on game.

Dr. Mike, Last year I had the opportunity to load some 200 grain Sierra SPBT for a friend that went on a moose hunt in British Columbia. Prior to the hunt we tried the various 200 grain bullets and ended up with the Sierra which shot 3/4 inch out of his .300WM Rem 700. RL19 worked perfectly. He hunted most of the week and towards the end of the hunt poked a nice moose at roughly 350yards. The moose traveled about 25 feet and fell over next to a logging road. (luckily). The bullet travelled through almost two feet of moose from a frontal shot and performed perfectly. The heavier bullets definitely have more penetrating ability.

I'm of the old school that believes in using heavy for calibre bullets. I am being won over by the weight retention of the monolithics, but emotionally, I'm still attached to the concept of mass.

DrMike
You peaked my curiosity with the GMX bullet results." The GMX was quite inaccurate (up to 2.75 inch groups)". Did you further experiment with the bullets on seating depth etc.?
I find as I'm switching over to monolithic bullets (kicking and screaming all the way) that I'm still dealling with the scars of the my first Barnes bullets and how it copper coated my new Wby 257 so bad I ended up selling it after I reverse copper plated the metal from the rifling. It never shot better than 1.75" after that now matter what I tried with any bullet.
The GMX is not pure copper and has the pressure relief grooves that allow standard loading. I had hoped it would do better than it did.
I've loaded but not yet tried the e-tips. I'm looking forward to it.
As always, thank you for your in-depth posts.
Greg

Greg,

In fairness to the data generated on the GMX, I have not played with seating depth. I seated the bullet 0.010 inch off the lands. It is possible that a longer jump to the lands will tighten up the groups at the velocities generated. I actually had reasonably good results using the GMX in my 30-06, and those bullets were also seated 0.010 inch off the lands. The velocities were good and the accuracy was reasonable. In those tests I used both the 165 grain GMX and the 150 grain GMX. The 150 grain GMX was a consistent one inch load with velocities approaching 3000 fps.

I hope to conduct further tests with the GMX, addressing seating depth. I intend to do the same with the E-Tip. As I have stated before, I grudgingly yield to the evidence of the accuracy of the monolithic bullets and their performance on game. I had excellent success with the 130 grain .277 E-Tip in my 270 WSM last year, and I may very well wind up with a load using the 168 grain E-Tip for this 300 WSM. One thing is certain, I will be recommending the bullet to people that ask my input for loads on their rifle, and I can do so with a degree of confidence as I generate more data.

For what it is worth, I did not note excessive copper deposits from either the E-Tip or the GMX. There were copper deposits, to be certain, and it was necessary to address them with somewhat more aggressive means (I used Sweets 7.62) than I might have used otherwise. However, I did not consider the deposits to be excessive.

That 200gr Sierra is a pretty good bullet for me Mike. I am currently using it is my 300 Win Mag with RL22. I am getting about 2940 out of it without issues. I plan to reconstruct the load when I return, just to see what kind of accuracy I can really get out of it. I have stuffed it through a black bear in the past and a few deer. None of them were able to stop the bullet, but the wounds were were good and I found no pieces of the bullets. I am getting about 1.25" groups out of the rifle and right around 2.5" groups at 300 at 300. I think it can be improved upon. I would switch up to the 200gr PT or AccuBond in a heartbeat, but not until I can steal some 2nds from the SPS. The Sierras are pretty cheap and they work.

Nice shooting with the 7STW. That is some excellent accuracy out of that rifle. What kind of speeds are you getting out of it? Scotty

The STW was a 24 inch barrel. If it were mine, I would have had a 26 inch barrel. Those groups I posted were clocked at twelve feet at ~3100 fps. When velocity exceeded 3150 or so, all groups began to open up in dramatic fashion.

I'm certainly not afraid to use the Sierra, but should I have a close encounter with a mountain grizzly that has an attitude when I'm carrying the 300 WSM, the construction of the 200 grain AB would be somewhat more comforting.

Wow, those are zipping pretty decent for a 24" barrel. I know what you mean when you add in grizzly. I think the 200gr PT is going to be a great bullet for the 300 Mag once I can get my hands on some of them. They are a little pricey, but I don't shoot a ton of them anyhow, and there would be some comfort to having those and having to push one into an elk from a steep angle. I feel pretty confident it would stem to stern a bull pretty easily at 2900FPS. Scotty

Scotty,

I would think that the 200 grain PT would be an excellent bullet for the 300 WM. I shoot the 200 grain PT in my 325 WSM, and I can testify that it does a great job of putting down elk and moose with authority. We are not talking about a great difference in frontal area and the velocities are fairly close on these two bullets. I would think that it would work very well on moose and elk, or just about anything else in North America.

I think I am going to give them a try. Hopefully the next time they come up as 2nds, I will be able to buy a few hundred of them. I am able to get excellent speed out of the 200's and since they have a little more SD and BC than the 180's I think they will make excellent all around elk bullets. Scotty

I'll tell you what! There are prices on SPS right now that have me really down because I can't order and get them over the border. No 200 grain AB, however.

I know, I kinda wished I had a 6.5 right now, cause they have some screaming deals on BT's and PT's for them.. Nothing really for the 30's other than some 150gr Accubonds, which I am strongly looking at for my wifes 308.. I try to look over SPS as much as I can, just to grab anything I might be able to save a few bucks on. Gotta keep the bullet coffers filled! Scotty

I should imagine that the 150 grain AB would be a skookum bullet for the 308. Yeah, those 6.5 and 7 mm bullets had me dreaming. Even buying bulk and with my discount, I spend plenty on bullets here. Those are smokin' deals. People should be all over those like a chicken on a June bug.

Thank you, Scott. However, I had some fine rifles. I didn't show pictures of the "patterns" created with the 300 RUM. It will receive some more work from the gunsmiths before I shoot it again. It was giving three inch groups when it came into the shop and after bedding, it shoots two inch groups. Likely going to be crowned before going back to the range with me. When they are finished in the shop, it will shoot some good groups, undoubtedly.

Back