Smith 627 performance center

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
3bf82663ef876552a838b3d7cb6b5a5d.jpg

9b6cce1fe38c8c47f7a178018e72bb90.jpg

I happened across a Smith & Wesson 627 performance center 8 shot 357 with a 2.65” barrel. This makes it the twin to my 629 performance center 44mag.

2a7ce65b1c028a5b81ce2f4a13f0e5fa.jpg

This one has had the hammer bobbed and slicked up. It’s still got the wood grips, those will need to be replaced. I’ll be ordering a set of VZ grips for it. I’m going to get a set of boot grips and a round butt finger groove set.

a7933a58ac5ac523687a1c07a0429407.jpg

The moon clips are a really nice feature. I have been planning to have my 3” 686+ cut for moon clips for years.

I think the weight will really tame the recoil of the 357 while still being compact enough for concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a handsome little piece, to be sure. Congratulations. Despite the weight, I'd still imagine either of them can be a handful.

Very nice and compact. Should be a great carry gun.
Is there an advantage to having the clips?
I've got speed loaders and they work great for me.
Just curious...

JD338

JD338":291ywgj1 said:
Very nice and compact. Should be a great carry gun.
Is there an advantage to having the clips?
I've got speed loaders and they work great for me.
Just curious...

JD338
The advantage of full moon clips is that it greatly speeds up reload s. In this case all 8 rounds extract ever loads as one. You can also carry 2 in the same space as one speed loader.

They can also allow you to shoot a rimless cartridge in a revolver. A357 can be modified to shoot 9mm in moon clips, a 460, 454, or 45 colt could shoot 45 ACP.

You can still use the revolver to shoot 38 and 357 without moon clips

Thanks bear. I knew about the 45 ACP but wasn't sure about the 38/357 since they are rimmed cases. I like the fact that you can also shoot 38/357 with our the clips.

JD338

Much better. I’m really impressed with these VZ grips. I’m going to try out the boot grips first, I think they will work great for concealed carry

d17b38e3768f17f07de399b4138950d9.jpg

f59d089798db2421e7bd0f066645e1cc.jpg

That’s one great looking revolver. Congratulations are definitely extended.

I like moon clips myself and have been considering getting an eight shot flame thrower. I can hear the liberal lawyer tactic now, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Six shots wasn’t enough so he went out and bought an eight shot death machine. This made it unfair for my client because everyone knows revolvers only have five or six shots! Everyone knows you’re supposed to reload after those five or six shots. This unfair advantage created a hazardous situation for my alleged criminal client.”

The above was typed in jest but I’m sure if given the chance one of those aforementioned barristers will utter something similar somewhere.

The picture is 125 grain .357 Magnum being fired by Massad Ayoob.

Vince

That’s one great looking revolver. Congratulations are definitely extended.

I like moon clips myself and have been considering getting an eight shot flame thrower. I can hear the liberal lawyer tactic now, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Six shots wasn’t enough so he went out and bought an eight shot death machine. This made it unfair for my client because everyone knows revolvers only have five or six shots! Everyone knows you’re supposed to reload after those five or six shots. This unfair advantage created a hazardous situation for my alleged criminal client.”

The above was typed in jest but I’m sure if given the chance one of those aforementioned barristers will utter something similar somewhere.

Vince

I pity the miscreant that thinks you only have six shots.

Would be fun to be a fly on the wall. I can picture the scene, with the miscreant’s puzzled expression, as he’s thinking, “But he fired all six shots.”

OK. Honestly I don’t pity the miscreant but rather the one forced to defend themselves. Be safe and have fun. That’s a great gun!

Vince

Back