Solid Base Bullets

Bad Flynch

Beginner
Nov 25, 2004
I kept a box of solid base bullets since the 1970s. They were the .22 Match 52 grain hollow point. I only had one box left and needed some bullets for trial loads and to break in a new .22-250 barrel. They shot really great, with most groups being under 0.5" (5 shot). Some were over that, of course. The best group was below a quarter inch and I have not been able to duplicate that with any other bullet.

Is Nosler going to resurrect this bullet with the reintroduction of their solid base line? Perhaps Nosler has some left over they'd like to sell?

This is a Rem 700 custom barreled by Shilen with a tight-necked chamber and I'd like to get the best I can out of it. Thanks.

Have you tried the 50 gr Ballistic Tips? I got excellent accuracy from them with my old .223. They are kind of like a hollow point with a plastic tip stuck in to improve the ballistic coefficient. The main reason some of the solid base bullets are available again is because Federal contracted with Nosler to provide some of them in Federal's factory ammo. I don't think Federal has any plans to produce any .22 match ammo with the old Nosler Hollow Points, so you may be out of luck.

Back