Solid hunting boots

Meindl makes some great boots. Even their inserts from Cabelas are great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104724180

Having said that, I'm very, very picky about shoe fit and have to go check out any shoes or boots by trying them on. I don't ever order them on the internet. My family hates to go shoe or boot shopping with me because it's usually not a short affair. :)

I don't know if Kenetrek makes any lightweight boots but I have also tried that brand on at the SHOT Show and liked them. Of note, I prefer their older insert to the new one, and would swap them out if I purchased a pair.

I have 3 pairs of Meindl's. Two pair for hunting and hiking, ( Perfekt 10" and 6" I believe) and a pair of the Perfekt duty boots I wear for work. Hands down the most comfortable anything I have ever put on. My feet love them. I would think the lightweights would be perfect.

I have Meindl Perfekt 10" hunters (400g Thinsulate) and Asolo Sasslong hikers/backpacking boots.

I love them both. I can't say I have a favorite, although I'm wearing the Asolo's more right now because they are uninsulated.

Both seem to serve well...good traction, good support, well made, Gore-Tex....not much not to like.

I have a pair of Asolo Sasslongs that I got from Sierra Trading Post for around 130 bucks and used them in Colorado last year on my Elk hunt. I would highly recommend them, very comfortable, gore tex, light, and good support for a lower hiking boot. I also just ordered a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI from amazon that should be here tomorrow, got them for 20% off with code SHOESNEW at checkout, This code works on other boots there also.

I have two pair of the Meindl and love both of them. I have been wearing them for the last four seasons. I have the Perfect for early season and the Alaskan for later season hunts. I highly recommend them.

ajvigs":2kc9bad3 said:
To those who have the Asolo's, i have seen quite a few reviews where people have had the soles or heels start to wear off:
http://www.rei.com/product/693828/asolo ... boots-mens

Have any of you had this happen?

They will eventually run outta tread, but I gotta say, I am not sure how many rock covered miles it'll take. My first pair went to AFG 3X and Idaho 3 times. They need to be resoled now, but they have ALOT of miles on them. Resoling is about 75.00 for a basically new boot.

My hunting boot story...

First off...I'm not familiar with the brands mentioned above...nor am I saying my choices are all that great, LOL.

I bought a pair of 1400 gram Rocky Bear Claws a few years back (about $180 IIRC)...the 2nd year the bottoms started coming off, I super glued them...it lasted a short while...I super glued them again...it lasted a short while, again...I think I hunted with them for 3 years total...summary, very warm boot, very uncomfortable boot, poorly put together.

Then I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns (1200 gram) last year because I got tired of glueing the Rockys together (retired the Rocky's to cold weather work wear)...the Danners are 100 times more comfy and easier to walk in (lighter) than the Rockys...summary of the Danners...its still early in the game but they seem OK...warm, comfy, waterproof.

More on the Rockys...I'm a truck driver that spends alot of time in the northern climates (ND, SD, MT, etc.)...one day my Rockys came unglued again and I didn't have any super glue...but I had some Gorilla Glue...those boots made it through being worn frozen in -43 degree temps and lots of hard use last winter...and the Gorilla Glue is still holding and shows no signs of letting go any time soon.

Mine run the same as my sneakers. I wear a 14 in sneakers and 14 has been just right for the Asolos. Do you have an REI to try any on? Or maybe another outdoor hiking store close by.

I used the sizing guide from Sierra Trading Post, and it predicted the fit for me spot on. Mine fit perfectly. It's a pdf file that they sent me via the live chat feature on their website.

I currently have two pairs of ASOLO boots. One is waterproof and the other not. I have never worn a more comfortable mid-weight boot. The 535 is the most comfortable boot I have ever worn, and I wear them "every" day.

Have been very happy in recent years with Zamberlan boots, particularly in the high, rocky country.

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/ind ... at&idcat=2

Also have a pair of real lightweight Merrills. I think of 'em as disposable, comfortable boots.

Danners have been my duty boot for 20 years. They fit and work. Love that they're American made too. At least the ones that I use are.

Guy

pre6422hornet":1292lu2e said:
I have 3 pairs of Meindl's. Two pair for hunting and hiking, ( Perfekt 10" and 6" I believe) and a pair of the Perfekt duty boots I wear for work. Hands down the most comfortable anything I have ever put on. My feet love them. I would think the lightweights would be perfect.

Ditto for me. Two pairs of Perfekts for hunting; One has hunted for 10 years and been to three different continents. My duty Perfekts are holding up well and I wear them on 12 hour shifts and my feet never hurt!

Scott

So many options, and unfortunately my Bass Pro doesnt carry any of these boots everyone is recommending! I really need to find some shop here in Florida that carries the Asolo's to give them a try...

Back