Some 30-06 ammo of the past

I liked the Speer 165 gr. Nitrex loads in the .308. It was the only factory load that shot worth a damn in a Ruger M77 RSI. They had already been discontinued when I came across them. I was talking to a gentleman at a gun show and it turned out it was Sam Fadala, the gun writer. He had them on his table and let me have them for $10.00 a box so I took all four. They shot very well in a Remington 660 I've had for years and the big surprise was the RSI which I'd been fighting for two years trying to find something that would at least give hunting accuracy. I chronographed the load and using W760 found the sweet spot using the plain Hot Core bullet which I had on hand. That load has accounted for pick up truck load of deer. Brass and primer are Winchester, FWIW. Change one componenet, even a bullet of another make and the same weight and accuracy is gone. Strangest thing I've eve run across in many years of reloading ammo. Even stranger is I acquired two more M77 RSI rifles in .308 that had the same problem. The Speer Nitrex close shot very well in the rifles but like the first, you can't change a thing. Loads shoot 1.50" at 100 yards. I did a bit of tinkering on them relieving the metal muzzle caps slightly and now some groups are as small as 1.25". Velocity is fair at 2550 FPS and I have taken deer at 250 yards. I really like those rifles.
Paul B.

I don't know why Federal discontinued the Deep Shok ammo. It was accurate and performed well on deer close in woods shots and long range clear cut shots. I have one full box of 165gr and 4 rounds of 180gr left. For deer hunting in the timber where shots are 80 yds and less I like to use 180gr bullets. The 180 gr Core-Lokt round nose is a good one for this.

Back