Some targets

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Got out with a few guns to play finally. Have had some family issues that took time and necessitated leaving the rifles alone for a while.
Bigger toys are 100 yards, others at 200. All using my favorite cheap target the paper plate. :grin: Excuse the Coke case backdrop!
First up was verify the 45-70. Load is Kodiak 350 gr, 49 RL7, roughly 1920 or so. Held on a point 3" low to see if that was right at 100. It was.
image.jpg8_zpse5onlitr.jpg

Next was the 444. Wanted to get this load 3" high at 100. First shot was the sighter then adjusted the scope and think I'm good to go. Added a click to the right also. Hornady 265, 46.2 H4198, Rem brass, around 2200.
image.jpg7_zpsgew2xfht.jpg

The 6.5-06 AI. This one has been haunting me. Keep getting close and found something I liked last time out and wanted to see if it repeated. 200 yds. 56.5 H4831 SC, Fireformed Hornady Brass, Nosler 129 ABLR, 3100 fps.
image.jpg1_zpswccvh37a.jpg

A little load work with the 260 AI. Fireformed Nosler Brass, Hornady 140 SST, H 4831 SC, loads are on the plates, 200 yards
image.jpg2_zpszlfs0hxf.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsiyoefpgu.jpg

image.jpg5_zpswamfja1k.jpg

I'm OK with the 48.5 load. Reshot it and if anything it was better. 48.5 gr, avg 2940 fps. Tried to find some 140 ABs as I would prefer that bullet but none to be found lately. Have some ordered and will update the targets when they arrive.
Just for grins, I shot the 338-06 at 200 with a load I'm working on currently. Needs scope adjustments but here you go :grin: Think I'll shorten it up a bit and see what happens.
image.jpg6_zps4ehxplpj.jpg

Wanted to play with a few more but ran out of time.

Love those lever guns--they are favourites for me. Fine groups, Dewey. You have some real potential in all of them. I really like what is happening with your 6.5-06 and the 260 AI; I'm certain that is true for you as well.

Love those lever guns--they are favourites for me. Fine groups, Dewey. You have some real potential in all of them. I really like what is happening with your 6.5-06 and the 260 AI; I'm certain that is true for you as well.
Yessir. I'm getting happy with the 6.5 and the 260. I'm starting to really enjoy these 6.5s. As for the levers, well there's just something about a lever action that appeals to me. Couple that with big bullets it just multiplies the enjoyment.

I have some .444 envy. I have wanted one of those for a long time.
I had the 45-70 and really wanted to play with a 444. Luckily, one of the guys on here posted one a few months back and I pounced on it. :grin: You need one.... :lol: :lol:

I have some .444 envy. I have wanted one of those for a long time.
I had the 45-70 and really wanted to play with a 444. Luckily, one of the guys on here posted one a few months back and I pounced on it. :grin: You need one.... :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yes...I do need one.

I wouldn't mind a .45-70 either but for what I do I think the .444 is plenty.

That and if I get a .45-70 I would like to get a Ruger No.1 or a BPCR single-shot of some kind.

Dale

You can make the old cartridge roar a little in those Number 1s. Nice guns.
IMO, the 444 lets you stretch it out just a little more without quite as much drop.

Great groups

The old 45/70 seems to always make smiles when it comes to groups. The ones I have/had are all great shooters.

Nice shooting Dewey.
You are there with the levers. A little tweaking with the 338-06 and she will be good to go.

JD338

Back