Someone can guess from what era this Rem 700 is?

If that Limbsaver pad is mushy or gummy, contact Limbsaver directly, and they will replace it under warranty as they did mine originally installed on my 338-06. They did have one year (or two) that had issues.

Hope it shoots well for you!

If not and you want to part with it, let me know; always looking for these!

My guess wasn't too far off. It's a well crafted rifle and she will shoot. Well done on a nice find

JD338

I have a BDL in 30-06 that I'm guessing was made around 1979, maybe 1980. I literally stole it brand new in the box for $110.00 plus tax. My wife was working for J.C. Penney when they dropped everything except for stuff for yuppies. They were selling firearms at their cost just to get rid of them. I also got a Winchester M94 and Marlin 336 in 30-30 for $85 and $100 after they added my 10 percent off for my wife's employee discount. Still have the BDL and M94. Let a friend have the Marlin for what I had in it.
I had a Decelerator pad put on the 700 and let a friend use it on a deer hunt we did. I'm sitting in a hillside wand watching him work a brushy area took a strong dislike to the mirror like flashes from that shiny finish. A little gentle rubbing with 0000 steel wool and then a light coating of furniture polish rubbed in and it looks a lot more like a high dollar oil finish but still bowling pin tough.
Funny thing I never really shot it much for no particular reason. Shortly before my wife had her stroke I did a serious load work up with H4350 and the 180 gr. Hornady spire point Good groups and fantastic velocity. (2800+FPS) FWIW, that same load also shoots well in an M700 Classic in 30-06. Win win. The only other M700 I have is a Classic in .35 Whelen and what little I've done with it shows promise. After I got my custom Mauser .35 Whelen the M700 kind of just ended up taking back seat. Haven't decided if I'll keep it or sell it. The loads for the Mauser are a bit much for that rifle. Methinks the two classics are 1980's gun probably early 80's for the 06 and IIRC either 86 or 88 for the .35. Nice rifles.
Paul B.

With really good, concentric handloads that rifle should be able to print groups from, say, .600 down to .250 or so. Of course it won't shoot all bullets and loads with this level of accuracy, it takes some work to get it dialed in.
If it doesn't shoot in the 1.0" range or it suddenly starts opening up your groups look to the stock. There are 2 bumps about an inch or so back from the end of the stock and if the stock warps any at all it puts pressure against one side or the other.
I rested my 7mm for about 10 years, when I put it in the safe it was shooting around .750 to 1.0" or so. When I took it out and shot it the shots were all over. The fore arm had warped and put so much pressure on the barrel it actually wore off some blueing just sitting in the safe.
I bedded the rifle. I cut out all the warp in the forend and bedded the first 2 inches past the recoil lug tight to the barrel, then bedded the remainder of the forend but left the barrel floating. The receiver got bedded also. This cut my best groups almost in half.
I also did some trigger work and added a Limbsaver like is on your rifle. That really cut down the recoil.
So it's still basically a stock M700 with just a couple of enhancements. I think it shoots pretty good with the factory barrel and all.

Attachments

• Group2 (3) (800x614).jpg
    Group2 (3) (800x614).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 402
  • Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 402
Hello everyone!
here's a little update, as i shot my new toy for the first time this morning.
i loaded a bunch of 154gr SST in front of IMR 7828
i made a series from 60.5 to 63.5 in 1 gr jumps
and from there in 1/2 gr interval up to 68gr.
i used the first few very light round to zero on a different target
and shot the rest on this target here.
i think it really likes the 154 gr SST and i should be able to easily find my hunting load.
i've never seen a first target like this before, except for my savage 12 in 223.
and i'm pretty sure 66 and 68 gr is shooter error.
i was also shooting from a card table with spindly legs. can't wait to go to the club on a real shooting bench.

from different manuals, the max was supposed to be around 65-67 gr. thats why i stopped at 68 but i will continue futher, as at 68gr the velocity was 2975 and it showed no pressure signs at all
nc8WGs.png

i also forgot to mention that when i first took the rifle apart
i saw that it was glass bedded amd free floated. a little bonus the seller didn't mention...

That is definitely a keeper unless you would like to ship it west for some fine tuning :lol:.
I have been loading for the my nephew's lefty CDL 7mm mag for many years and it is a tack driver with just about anything I have tried in it. He is now shooting 168gr. ABLRs at right around .5moa and before that it shot the 160gr. ABs over top of IMR 4350 and was maybe even a little tighter than .5 :wink:.
I am sure that you will get many years of great use out if it. Remington is a good working man's rifle (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back