Something a bit smaller for a change...

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

For a few years now, I have had a Norinco M701, bolt action (a Chinese copy of Pre 64 Winchester M70), in 7.62x39.
The main reason I purchased this rifle, was the distinct lack of any rifles in this calibre in Australia, since the 1996 By Back (Confiscation/Theft) scheme.
It has a bulky stock and the ammo won't feed from the magazine, and despite my best efforts, it shoots patterns not groups but it does have a Hard Chrome bore.......

Anyway, earlier this year I heard on the grape vine, that Howa would be chambering their Model 1500 bolt action in 7.62x39.
Later on, I heard that the rifles chambered for 7.62x39 (and .222, .223, 6.5 Grendel etc), would be based on a new and smaller action than the short action M1500.
I was keen to get one of these, so as soon as I seen them advertised Down Under, I placed an order for a few of them (a couple of my mates wanted one each also).
So they arrived on Friday, just in time for a weekend away to check it over and run-in the barrel on my one.

Here are some images,
DSCN1733.JPG
DSCN1735.JPG
DSCN1736.JPG
DSCN1737.JPG
DSCN1740.JPG

FYI, here are some of the gory details of this little rifle,

Weight; 5 3/4 pound or 2.6Kgs.
Action length; 7 3/16" or 183mm
Action Diameter; 1.173"or 29.8mm
Detachable magazine, internal length; 2.342" or 59.5mm
Muzzle Diameter; 0.567" or 14.4mm
Barrel Diameter at 16 1/2"; 0.618" or 15.7mm
Bore Groove Diameter; 0.310" or 7.87mm
Bore Diameter; 0.300" or 7.62mm
Barrel Twist rate; Approximately 1 in 9 1/2" (using a tight patch on my cleaning rod)

The only thing I need to do, is track down a Picatinny Rail for this new action. From what I've searched, it appears that Talley Manufacturing make one to suit.

I hope this is of some use or interest to you good folks

Merry Christmas
Homer

For sure, I'll be interested in how this rifle shoots. All that I've seen of the Howa production in the past was positive. The .222 and the .223 would be of some interest for me.

It looks pretty clean and well done . Is ammo easily available for it? Why is the rubber band on the barrel, little details like that drive me nuts???

Elkman":2c6zscub said:
It looks pretty clean and well done . Is ammo easily available for it? Why is the rubber band on the barrel, little details like that drive me nuts???

7.62x39 is one of the most popular and readily available cartridges, USA and many places around the world. I dunno how avail it is in Australia.

Courtesy of the AK-47 & SKS being so popular and readily available I'd guess.

Guy

Elkman":398gsl2t said:

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for your kind comments.
I'll report back, once I have a scope mounted and shot some groups.

Elkman, the rubber band marks the 16 1/2" mark of the barrel.

Also, yes there a Tens of THOUSANDS of rounds of Chinese, ex-military ammo, still available here (at one time, pre 1996, I had a meter (40") high stack of wooden cases of military ammo).
I also have maybe a thousand rounds, of Russian non-corrosive Wolf brand 122grn HP ammo.

Merry Christmas
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Wisconsin Teacher, iirc, they do chamber it for the .204 Ruger?

Thank You JD338.

FYI, here is an image of some of the bullets I want to try in this same 7.62x39.
The bullets on the Left, are 0.310", .311", .312" and the ones on the Right, are all 0.308".
DSCN1744.JPG

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

I finally remembered to weigh the 7.62x39 Howa Mini.
It came in at 5 3/4 pound or 2.6 Kgs.
This is a bare rifle with the bolt and magazine in place but an empty magazine.

Hope you all had a Great Christmas.
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Not having much luck locating a one piece Pic-Rail/scope base, for this new Howa Mini action.
So I found some Warne two piece bases I had for a Rem 700 (the same when using two piece bases), and fitted them and a scope to the rifle.
Here are some images of the rifle/scope (Bushnell 10x40 fixed power).
DSCN1782.JPG
DSCN1784.JPG

And some groups I shot with it, yesterday arvo.

This is the initial sight in and adjust reticle and a 4 shot group, I shot with Wolf factory ammo at 50 meters
DSCN1789.JPG

And some reloaded ammo groups, again only at 50 meters.
DSCN1785.JPG
DSCN1787.JPG
DSCN1788.JPG

Homer is a Happy Lad!

Doh!
Homer

Well, it certainly shoots good enough. It looks quite business-like! Interesting cartridge when loaded for an accurate rifle.

Very nice!

I've never been impressed by the 7.62x39 cartridge, but I've come to realize that was mainly due to the arms it was chambered in.

One of those could make a neat little truck rifle.

After looking at the selection of bullets and ammo I have to ask a question relating to bore size.
If Howa claims the bore diameter is 310" why will under size bullets shoot better in it than the correct for bore diameter?

I almost forgot nice shooting Homer.

Thank You for your kind comments fella's.

Good question Truck Driver?
FYI, Taipan (pronounced Tie-Pan) bullets are an Australian brand, and they kind of remind me of Nosler, as they always seem to shoot very accurately!
Not sure about the bullet diameter (0.03095" in a 0.0310" bore) difference but I know that they do shoot well.
The bullet may be obturating to match the bore?

Today's useless bit of information;
The Inland Taipan (Australian snake), is The Most Venous/Poisonous Snake on the Planet!
There is also the less Venomous, Eastern Taipan........which is the #2 most Venomous/Poisonous snake on the planet...........

Doh!
Homer

wisconsinteacher":135nas7y said:
Great little rifle and you can keep your snakes!!!!
+1 :) . I am just fine with standard NA "buzz worms", or without them! Looks like a fun rifle. Nice shooting. CL

G'Day Fella's,

I was away bush over the weekend, and chrono'ed a few loads in my Howa Mini, 7.62x39 rifle.

All the below handloads were charged by 27.0 grns of ADI AR-2207, CCI BR2 primers in Lapua cases.

Hornady Z-Max 123grn bullets (0.310"), averaged 2462fps.
Taipan 124grn HP bullets (0.3095"), averaged 2474fps.
Speer 130grn HP Moly coated bullets (0.308"), averaged 2431fps.
And
Wolf factory 122grn HP bullets, averaged 2401fps.

This was from the Howa Mini's 22" barrel, at a temperature of 27*C and 10 feet from the muzzle to the Oehler 35P's first screen.

I'm hopeful of being able to safely achieve 2500fps average, with at least one of these loads but I want to be able to maintain the great accuracy I have so far.

Doh!
Homer

Back