Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Sometimes there is not enough words to describe the job Nosler has done in thinking out the design and configuration by combining the components of the M48 TGR. As you all know I have an M48 TGR 7mm08 and you also know how my M48 just digest most bullets and loads and is an extremely accurate rifle, being a true 1/4" rifle with some loads and keeps all my loads with bullets tried under and inch. Yes, I go to great links with my reloading, using all that I have learned over the years to produce good loads.

Now that said, I think it was brilliant for Nosler to go with the 24" barrel for the 7mm08 while still holding down the weight of the rifle instead of a 22" barrel and for them to chose the hand lapped PacNor for the barrel. I say this because today, me being one who is given to being a tinker (go figure), decided to test Q/L estimation that a 160gr Speer SBT could be driven without being over max at 2800fps plus. Well today at the range I tested their theory and the 24" barrel paid off in that I was able to drive the 160gr bullet at 2820fps on average using W760. Now get this, my extreme spread on both groups tried was 6 and the deviation was 3 and my group was .764".

Now what makes this so wonderful is that this 160gr bullet with a BC of .515 matches the LR Duplex drop dots on my Leupold FX II 6x36mm perfectly. With such a low extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3 this will be a fine hunting and long range load. I hear people say that Nosler is expensive, well as far as I am concerned you get what you pay for and my 7mm08 was worth every penny. Nosler M48 TGR is an extremely fine rifle. :mrgreen:

So basically you got an ultra accurate rifle that will get the same velocity of a 7mm rem magnum shooting standard factory ammo.

NICE

I guess that is the case and this is with no pressure signs. Just and outstanding rifle and the 7mm08 needs a 24" barrel and if it has one ends up being a very surprising and efficient round for the powder burned.

Now using Logic---what is that--- the only other rifle you might need is the big 8 for bears......

Kind a sux huh? :mrgreen:

FOTIS":3902z3a2 said:
Now using Logic---what is that--- the only other rifle you might need is the big 8 for bears......

Kind a sux huh? :mrgreen:

You do know that you are no good don't you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes I do Mike.

I need a blanket party for being such an enabler!

FOTIS":1q7vvirn said:
Yes I do Mike.

I need a blanket party for being such an enabler!

Well, maybe not a blanket party (for those of you who do not know, in the service they would come cover you with a blanket and beat the tar out of you and you could not see who was doing it), that would be to rough, but I could find ways to make you feel guilty. You do know that you were one of the ones encouraging me to get the TGR or have you forgot that. Now since that turned out to be and awesome acquisition I will let you go this time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not the first time a post re the Nosler rifle has had me considering selling most or all of my hunting rifles and picking up one, or a pair of Noslers for ALL my hunting...

You guys ought to get a commission... :grin:

I do not make money on these matters.

I am just evil that way... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Guy Miner":cx3viajm said:
Not the first time a post re the Nosler rifle has had me considering selling most or all of my hunting rifles and picking up one, or a pair of Noslers for ALL my hunting...

You guys ought to get a commission... :grin:

You know we should, why don't you write Mason Payer and tell him he should and then I will buy a 325WSM and have the two only rifles a man would need. :mrgreen:

Here are the calculation figures if the drop is sight in at 200yds zero using the LR Duplex by Leupold in my FX II 6x36 mm

Range Aim point actual drop

100 yards Cross hair +1.78

200 yards cross hiar 0.0

300 yards first dot - 7.9

400 yards second dot - 23.1

500 yards third shot - 46.7

Here is how my 160gr load with .515 BC works out at 2820fps

Range Aim point actual drop

100yds Cross Hair +1.7
200yds Cross Hair 0"
300yds First Dot -7.4"
400yds Second Dot -21.4"
500yds Third dot -42.8"

Still having 2,000 foot pounds of energy out to 270yds.

I think that given my choice of two... I'd likely choose:

.25-06
.30-06

Yup, that would likely do it, and still take advantage of my existing dies & components.

Just thinking here... That's NOT an order Nosler! :grin:

Of course if I didn't have a ton of .25 & .30 cal bullets, I could just get one in .280 AI and call it good for all my hunting needs.

Guy

Guy Miner":36vqnbpm said:

.25-06
.30-06

Yup, that would likely do it, and still take advantage of my existing dies & components.

Of course if I didn't have a ton of .25 & .30 cal bullets, I could just get one in .280 AI and call it good for all my hunting needs.

Guy

Guy,

You said it, not I. :mrgreen:
Truth be known, all you need is a 280 AI. It will do the work of the 25-06 and the 30-06.:wink:

JD338

JD338":7g36ijgz said:
Guy Miner":7g36ijgz said:

.25-06
.30-06

Guy

Guy,

You said it, not I. :mrgreen:
Truth be known, all you need is a 280 AI. It will do the work of the 25-06 and the 30-06.:wink:

JD338

I've been thinking of one of these for a few years now.....I'm really wanting one......I've got 2 .280's now....

Truth be told, a .280, a 30-06 or even a .308 would be sufficient as the rifle for an individual who owned only one rifle for hunting North America.

I was sceptical at first myself and when I fired the first round I looked at the chronograph read out on screen and decided to take a picture unless this velocity was not achieved again, but the high velocities was 2824fps.

file-70.jpg

file-71.jpg

Yep, this load will certainly do. :)

Here is a mushroom I saw at the range and just thought it was pretty.

file-74.jpg

file-73.jpg

Guy Miner":1jnh895t said:

.25-06
.30-06

Guy

I'm only a phone call away Guy... :grin:

-SF

Back