Sometimes we overthink it...

Easy to talk about overthinking when you are dealing with top of the line equipment.

Let Kirby post the same when dealing with a bunch of remington factory rifles. Not that he has not.... BUT I bet you that song will change!!!

Mr. Allen is a great guy with a TON of experience.

I used to have a rather complicated load work-up routine but have changed course.

I now run the kiss, find pressure, rock on method advocated by an obnoxious yet highly experienced member of another forum.

I find a COAL which allows the bullet to kiss the rifling using a sharpie and dummy case, load 5-10 cartridges in .5-1.0 increments (depending up case size) in an effort to find pressure, then I shoot them into a single target watching for pressure signs. Once I find them I go back 1.5-2 gr and find a load sufficiently accurate for my purposes and then load a ton and blow through em from field positions at as great a distance as possible on reactive targets.

Much simpler, more fun, and vastly more productive than what I used to do which was dink around at the bench instead of preparing for hunting season.

Kirby post was interesting but his site deals with, if rifle doesn't meet his 1/2" MOA

http://www.apsrifles.com/FAQ.html you can see below under FAQ

What does "1/2 moa accuracy potential" really mean when Kirby is referring to his accuracy testing of his rifles?

Simply put, I shoot every rifle I build at long range, NO 100 yard group testing, means nothing to me at that close range. I test my sporter rifles at a minimum of 800 yards and my medium to heavy rifles at +1000 yards. Each rifle is tested with 12 to 15 test rounds down the barrel. Generally speaking, the rifles are set up as they would be used in the field for big game hunting, fired off a harris bipod on the front and sand bag supporting the rear. Rifles are bore sighted and then dialed in on target which generally takes 2-3 shots down the bore. The rifles are then allowed to cool and then three shot groups are fired at known sized(generally 1/4 to 1/2 moa in size), highly visible targets at measured ranges. Video equipment is used to record shooting sessions and the rifles must prove that they are capable of delivering 1/2 moa grade consistency at these ranges. Shooting sessions are replayed on big screen televisions so that the rifles performance can be easily inspected. If rifles do not show they can print 1/2 moa class groups then more load development is done, if they meet this accuracy level performance, they are shipped.

I have learned much from the writings/other articles of benchrest shooters, varminters, precision shooters, long range shooters. I appreciate all the experimentation/application of their experience and at "their cost", ha. Since I don't take long shots or compete I can pass on 99.9% ( bushing dies, case annealing, etc.) but I have sure benefited from that .1% I do apply! I had an Afrikaner ask me once, when on a trip to South Africa, why Americans are so "into" their rifles/loads/optics? I said its because we "might" get to actually hunt a local deer herd 5 to 9 days in most of the country and we Americans 'love to shoot!" That leaves us with the remainder of the year and our equipment and dreams! :grin:

Sorta reminds me of trying to get a super light weight bicycle back in the day, we'd do all sorts of tricks, but if we'd just eaten right, and less, we could have shaved a couple pounds off the engine in no time. I'm sure I'm the most variable variable when it comes to shooting. Every now and then one of my rifles will shock me, and I'll realize the same old thing, they're all way more accurate than me.

I have always gone with the accuracy load. It is fast enough to do what I want and still shoot sub MOA to 300 yards.

Back