Somthings wrong.....

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
I've been through most of the close to me gun emporiums lately. A good friend just bought a new 17WSM rifle (for which I sent him a scope I had laying around) and another friend just bought a new Ruger Mark III. I spent part of the day at cabelas and spent two gift cards and my points on a winter coat...... :shock: :shock:
WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH ME!!!! :? :eek: I cant seem to find a single rifle Im interested in...nothing strikes my fancy, no plans for anything special.... This weekend I went to the range and decided that It wasn't worth fighting the mud in my chair and the crowds. Turned around and went home....

Im half kidding,.... Maybe a CZ 455 or a 17 Hornet.....??? (Not that I got the cash- but a fella has to have something to look forward to..) Any ideas? CL

How about spring? I have been cutting way back on the hardware, so I really don't have any suggestions. Maybe a new fishing pole?

I only have one gun that I would consider a good prairie dog gun, a 788 in .223 Rem. I've messed with my .22's but I don't think they really count. If I lived in your country I think I'd have several that would fit the bill.

With the reappearance of 22LR, how about a Marlin 39A? I love to take mine out and plink. Sharpens my skills.

Too bad there isn't a decent bolt gun chambered in the 5.7x28mm CL like the CZ 455. I did see some custom ones at Euro Optics, but I forget what they were chambered in? They were a bit pricy though.

I've renewed my interest in varmint rifles lately. Looking forward to some varmint shooting this spring, and have taken the .17 HMR and the .204 Ruger to the range. It was FUN, shooting something accurate, with virtually no recoil.

Perhaps a good varmint rifle? I think there are still a lot of prairie dogs out there.... :grin:

Guy

Grab one of your shotguns, head to a local gun club on a Saturday or Sunday, and shoot a couple rounds of Trap or Skeet. (If you catch the bug, you'll have plenty of things to put on your wish list...) Trapshooting serves as my "filler" shooting sport -- spring is varmint season, fall is hunting season, but when there's 2' of snow on the ground, or we hit "mud" season, or we hit the mid-summer heat, trapshooting is a great way to spend some quality shooting time. And it's pretty convenient for a chair shooter (I've shot with a lot of them over the years) and you can make it as cheap or as spendy as you want.

I think I may have an idea/ cure/ treatment. Its been 15 years since I had a turkey license. I can buy one of the later season (warmer weather) tags over the counter now. There is usually a turkey or two on my father-in-laws land. Best part is I can start "re-assembling" a turkey shotgun now. That will give me something to do. I think all I need is a set of rings. (I cant hit squat w/o a a scope). I gave away mi original 1.5-4 to a young kid who shot his first deer w/ it. Didn't have the heart to break up his "winning combo".
BUT when I upgraded my Slug gun to a Leupold a few years ago I removed a 1.5-4 w/ a "turkey plex" reticle. Perfect. Ive got help I can line up, decoys to borrow etc. . One question remains:
So....for sentimental reasons I want to set up my 20ga. 23/4 not to mention my shoulder would probably appreciate it. The 12 ga. is there too... but Id really rather use the 20. Am I crazy? Thanks for the thoughts. CL

Moderators- feel free to move this to "shot guns" or hunting, as you feel appropriate.

I'm in concurrence with Guy.

Go with what you shoot best and like to shoot. There's no law that says a 20 can't git 'er done.

Go have fun and whack a turkey, a mole, or the lawyer two doors down.

Just kidding about the lawyer................I think.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep a 20 gauge with those Federal Heavyweight #7's works great!

I've been very impressed with the heavyweight 7's in a 20 gauge. I have not took the 12 gauge out in about 8 years I guess.

Back