Son's first Elk with out me ....

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
My son went hunting with a buddy of his Friday with out me since I was working. He and a his buddy rode into the area behind the gate a couple of miles and started on foot.
Just like you hear about but it never happens to me stories ... he hears a train coming through a clearcut and two bulls appear coming down a fire trail along the timber. He was out deer hunting not elk hunting. He says he bought the elk tag just in case the day before. He had his 243W with him that morning and using 90gn BT handloads of mine.
He waited for the bulls - a 2x3 rag horn and a small 5x5 - to get closer and when they stopped at about 150 yds and looked into the timber, he shot from a sitting postion. The 5x5 turned and started running back up the fire trail, he jumped up and swung just past his shoulder and pulled the trigger. He says the hind feet went above the bull's head as it went straight into the dirt. As it was it was a double shoulder with lungs and top of heart. This bullet gave him two shoulders with a complete pass through!!
James Bull 02.jpg

He is pretty happy with himself and I wasn't there to share but also I wasn't there to get this animal out. It was a good task for these two young men.

He uses his 300 WSM in the past for elk hunting but this 243W was new this year for deer hunting. All the luck, go out deer hunting and have a couple of bulls run you over.

Congratulations to your son. He seized the moment and did what was necessary. I'm sure the experience will be a source of rich memories for the remainder of his days. I trust this is the first of many such great adventures for him.

Great story. Congratulations to your son.
The 243 95 gr BT is a tough bullet.

JD338

Wow !
Congrats to the son.
Glad he bought that tag just in case.
I would have never dreamed a 243 would poke through both shoulders of an elk.
I've got some sitting on my bench. Better get to working up a load with them I guess.

Oh and if I were you ?
I'd get son to go buy a lottery ticket, just because.

That is very good performance from a 243. Congrats to your boy

Congratulations to your Son on a great Bull, as it has been said many times on this forum shot placement is the key.
He should be enjoying Elk steaks in the near future :wink:!!
Thank you for the story and the photos.

Blessings,
Dan

I agree shot placement is half the battle. A proper bullet the other half.
Speaking of 6mm hunting bullets. My buddy's daughter who took a cow elk two years ago with her 243W, shot a bull moose this year with it. 100gn PT made full penetration with mushrooms against the hide, 3 shots to put it down. It layed down after first shot, stood up took another, took 2 steps and another hit, went down for good. EXTREMELY excited young lady, 14y old.
Putting the right bullet in the right place is what we strive for with reloading and "lots" of shooting practice.

Back