South African guest, shooting in the snow!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today we had a blast, literally, shooting at the local gun club. Mind you, South African Professional Hunter Mike Birch, of Hunt The Sun Safaris, doesn't get a lot of chances to shoot in the snow... So, while he was here, promoting his hunting business, we took a morning to spend at the North Central Gun Club above Wenatchee, Washington.

A brand new virgin (target) was sacrificed this morning...

I gave Mike a few tips on handling the FN 9mm pistol. He doesn't do a lot of pistol shooting, but did just fine today!

Then he moved up to the .500 S&W revolver slinging 440 grain bullets at 1400 fps. Mike was talking about using the .500 over a waterhole from a bowhunter's blind on plains game... I think he liked it...

About 150 5.56 rounds went downrange, from this terrific AR-15 built by friend Justin. Mike is Very, Very good with a rifle:

Then he took a few shots with each of my .375 H&H rifles. I failed to get a photo of him with the Number One. Interestingly, this is the second time Mike has been around that .375 H&H Number One. He guided gun writer John Barsness in Africa when John used the rifle there. He had a few tuning tips for me re the Model 70 as well. It could feed a little more reliably - not a good thing in a dangerous game rifle. I'll be taking a hard look at that...

When I opened my box of .375 ammo, his face lit up and he said "Ah, Accubonds!" He's seen a lot of success with the Nosler AccuBond bullets in Africa.

It was a good morning, lots of laughs, lots of hits on target from a variety of rifles & handguns, lots of talk of hunting and shooting.

Regards, Guy

Lots of great pics and smiling faces looks like everyone had fun. What is the feed problem with the M70?

truck driver":26c5ty7h said:
Lots of great pics and smiling faces looks like everyone had fun. What is the feed problem with the M70?

Bolt not stripping the rounds from the magazine all the time. So, it's quite possible to work the bolt properly, and pick up a big NOTHING into the chamber...

That somehow doesn't seem like the way I'd want my dangerous game rifle to perform. I think the magazine spring is strong enough. I'll fool with it a little, but the builder is just a day's drive away, over in Idaho. I could use an excuse to go to Idaho again and get the rifle tuned up a mite.

Guy

Guy Miner":3uzz0jyb said:
truck driver":3uzz0jyb said:

Bolt not stripping the rounds from the magazine all the time. So, it's quite possible to work the bolt properly, and pick up a big NOTHING into the chamber...

That somehow doesn't seem like the way I'd want my dangerous game rifle to perform. I think the magazine spring is strong enough. I'll fool with it a little, but the builder is just a day's drive away, over in Idaho. I could use an excuse to go to Idaho again and get the rifle tuned up a mite.

Guy

Let me know my 338 does the same thing but I've only noticed it with the last round in the magazine.

Ya I wouldn't want that either. I have that problem with my Ruger M77 in 30-06 but only when I speed cycle the bolt. If I take my time it will cycle every time but if I rush it it will skip the next round. It's funny that I only have this problem with my CRF rifles and not my PF rifles. The 725 Rem is a long action which I rebarreled for 257 Rob and it feeds like a dream with the short for action round. I haven't fired my CRPF M70 yet because it is a donor.

I'm sort of mulling around a buffalo hunt with this guy. And plains game. He loves the Number One for a plains game rifle, and if the Model 70 turns into a 100% reliable repeater, he's good to go with that for a dangerous game rifle.

The .500 S&W was quite an experience for him... We're thinking wildebeast at the watering hole with a big ol' 440 gr hard cast bullet... Or two or three if necessary. I keep thinking warthog too... :grin:

Looks like you had fun Guy.
I'm interested in what you are going to do to fix the Model 70. I'll have to see if mine gives me those issues.

Very cool Guy.
Looks like you both had a blast. I'm not so sure Mike was having too much fun with the big 500 S&W though. :)

JD338

I'm betting money it's the magazine spring. Had to replace a few lately just for that. Dropped new springs in and they are running like a clock.

I hope your able to do the buffalo hunt Guy. That would be a hunt of a lifetime.

SJB358":213ggzjq said:
I'm betting money it's the magazine spring. Had to replace a few lately just for that. Dropped new springs in and they are running like a clock.

That's what I'm thinking too. Sure will be an easy fix if that's the problem!

Great write up and pictures guy!!! I also hope you get a trip over "there". Lovely post.

If you continue to have problems with the 70, I could loan you a Remington or two, then you could use the 70 for backup!!!!

Back