Specialized reloading dies

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
I am going to get a little more precise in my .220 Swift loading and have a question having never used specialized sizing dies. I am looking at a body die to bump the shoulder back when needed and a bushing die for neck sizing. My question, does using a body die actually help extend case life on a case burner like the swift and is the bushing neck die preferable to a regular neck sizing die.

The idea behind the body die is to bump the shoulder back your 0.002 and no more. You probably do this already with your full length die.

The advantage of the bushing die or similar is that it works your neck much less than a standard full length die. You can get a full length die that has a bushing, and accomplish both at once if you wish.
The accuracy gurus then talk about using a mandrel to open the neck to the correct size.

The idea behind the body die is to bump the shoulder back your 0.002 and no more. You probably do this already with your full length die.

The advantage of the bushing die or similar is that it works your neck much less than a standard full length die. You can get a full length die that has a bushing, and accomplish both at once if you wish.
The accuracy gurus then talk about using a mandrel to open the neck to the correct size.
This. Fine summation.

You can use different size bushings also. Measure the outside diameter of a loaded round at the middle of the neck then go with a bushing about .002 smaller. Worked for me shooting benchrest. Dan.

Will the 0.002 create enough neck tension to hold the bullet for hunting?

Will the 0.002 create enough neck tension to hold the bullet for hunting?
Yes. Some brass maybe thicker so you have to allow for that. Might end up buying a couple different sizes for different brass. Seen that happen. Dan.

Back