Spoiling The Neighborhood Deer

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
We’ve always put out the feed blocks during the cold months, but that was getting pretty dang spendy considering they have a block ate in less than a week. A trip to the feed store and the grocery store netted enough for about 30 DIY blocks for $100.
The blocks include:
Whole corn, cotton seed, soybeans, whole oats, black oil sunflower seeds, and chicken layer crumble (for the vitamins and calcium), small helping of ice cream salt, beet pulp shreds, and cornmeal and feed molasses for a binder and, well, everyone knows deer just like molasses. I mixed and heated the ingredients in the oven to liquify the sugars and then packed tightly in a tub and made a wood block to set on top and used ratchet straps to compress the block in the tub while it cooled/set for 24 hrs. They are very dense and so far these rotten subdivision deer are liking them. Probably higher quality ingredients than the store bought.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 8
A most thoughtful provision for the deer. No doubt, they enjoy your generosity.
The grandkids enjoy watching them, and I think It seems to help to stop them from stripping the bark off my ornamental trees. Plus they get a full belly without much work, so I guess everyone wins.

Back