Squirrel Master

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Here is the old Octagonal Savage .22 my Grandfather bought new in 1928, the year my Dad was born, he cut his teeth on it, and in 1960's I did too, I have no idea how many shots have actually been out the bore, of this gun?{5000?} Or how many Squirrels, that I sold their tails to the Mepps Spinner Company,they would either pay you or swap you Mepps Spinners for the tails! Anyway 87 years later; it still cuts the top tassles ,out of the largest Spruce trees, around here! As recently as this morning; I Just shot 2 squirrels for the dogs with this old Savage.
This is the gun that started it all for me!
IMG_20160218_083734795.jpg

A rifle such as that is more than a heirloom, it is a veritable link to your very person. Sorry that I was unable to bring back the single shot Winchester that my Dad kept by the front door. When he died, I brought back a mule shoe that he made, and that was about it. My brother was able to keep most of his handmade shop and forge tools. I like that the old rifle you picture is still being used as it was intended to be worked.

I'm a youngen' on here but I sure do wish I had the Glenfield Model 60 with the Weaver K4 that I cut my teeth on. It was my first rifle. MANY squirrels and rabbits were laid low with that rifle and when just plinking I cannot fathom how many bricks of 22LR went out that barrel.

Excellent! Love those old "family rifles" and everybody needs a good .22 rifle anyway.

My Dad wasn't able to give me his first .22 a Remington Single-shot as it was stolen before I was born along with several other guns. It was a real tack driver to hear him tell of it.

I recently got back my first .22 a Rossi 62A, their knock-off of the Winchester. It was a very good knock off, but I wish I had a tang peep sight like you Earle, as I have the sights set for about 75 yards to shoot squirrels here in Idaho.

These old guns are real neat!

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

Nice old rifle. Very cool your still using it for its intended purpose.

Longrange,
All the kids around here ,used to send the Squirral tails in to the Mepps ,and mostly swap em for spinners! Most folks around these parts ,had some old Klunker single shot ,or bolt gun with crappy open sights, they all wanted to try my pump with rear "peep sight". (y)
Then they would always say " wish mine had a peep sight"...........lol . NONE of us ever, even though of a scope on a 22! :shock:

Since Winchester has been bringing back some of their retro-best sellers, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Silvertip bullet and the Model 62 make a come back even in a Limited-Edition!

Please Lord make it so!

Dale

I'd love to find a Winchester Model 69A in good shape with 5 and 10 round magazines like my grandparents taught me to hunt and shoot with!

We had a little Browning TD Auto .22 as well with open sights and it shot good too , but NOT as good as this Savage does. The auto was one of those last year with the "wheel sights" and a hunter got absolutely stupid with an offer, about 6/7 years ago, and he is now the proud possessor of that fine firearm. He claimed it was very valueable and he collected them. I also have a minty little BLR .22 that I have no particular attraction to as well? If there are any Browning 22 guys on here!
LOL :grin:

Now here is a picture from the old days when these little .22s were brand new!image032.jpg

It just feels good to go out in the field with some of those heirloom guns. I've got a couple that I love to use- I only do so on clear sunny days and try to be ginger with it, but man I love it.

Back