SS media separator / dryer

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Used the Frankford Arsenal SS tumbler for the first time with the sample detergent that came with the kit. I used about 250 pieces of 308 and 6.5 x284 brass mixed and tumbled with warm tap water for 2 hours and came out pretty much clean. Spread the pins and brass on a beach towel and rolled as much brass as I can to dry in the sun. It was a pita to separate the SS pins and brass. Only a few pieces of brass had spots when I packed the brass in bags, possibly missed to dry them correctly.

What do you use to separate the SS pins from the brass quickly and efficiently without spilling SS pins? I see a few types online but weren't sure which is better.

What about a dryer? Cheaper way is to let dry in the sun with the aid of blow dryer, but there are some better methods.

I use the Frankford magnet. It seems to get most all of them after a few trips over the brass.

I've just been either laying them out in the sun or I may throw them on a baking pan and put them in the even on low. It's been pretty hot here lately so I've not had to use the oven.

SJB358":3tr0ul7o said:
I use the Frankford magnet. It seems to get most all of them after a few trips over the brass.

I've just been either laying them out in the sun or I may throw them on a baking pan and put them in the even on low. It's been pretty hot here lately so I've not had to use the oven.

Sorry if I have not clarified better, i meant after getting most of the SS pins with a magnet, there are several pins inside the cases. I had to get a case and tap the case mouth on a block of wood to expel the SS pins out individually, it took some time. Isn't there a good rotary kit to put all the brass and pins in and place in a 5 gallon bucket and spin the handle and expels most SS pins out of the brass and into the bucket? I see there are some online, but not sure which is more efficient and to keep SS pins from spilling out.

There is a separator available online. I pick up brass, holding it submerged in a bucket filled with water. Then, holding the brass with the mouth down, I shake it vigorously. All the pins come out readily, even from such smaller throats as the .243 Win.

I just pull the brass out of the tub as it sits under a stream of water. Pick them up with mouth down and the pins fall out as you pull them out of the water. This summer I started doing it outside with a garden hose running in the tub. If I spilled some pins on the sidewalk, I used a magnet to pick them up m

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water is the key to separate pins imo.

I use a rotary case media separator, and spin them in water, changing directions a few times. I do this as part of the cold rinse after sludge is discarded. The style you choose will be up to you, and dependent upon size of runs ..... meaning, the brass/pin mixture is heavy, so it will bend plastic cage if you choose a lighter built one and try to do too many at once.

For batches on the FART, one styled like this should handle most batches...and full batches might have to be split into two for separation. Dillon makes heavy duty styles, but they aren't cheap ..... one similar to this should get you a long way. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/17695 ... ot+Presses)-_-RCBS-_-176956&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxei54Ir61QIV0oN-Ch0migXbEAYYAyABEgJzH_D_BwE (for clarity, the bottom bucket that the rotary sits on is full of water, so the cage spins in water)

Key point imo....when you pour the pin/brass mixture into the rotary ... pour them in slow and with water. The pins like to bounce everywhere....the water seems to help contain them and keeps them flowing, at least I think it helps me. If I have any escapes, I police them with a magnet.

Also ... even though I deprime before wet tumbling....I keep my deprime pin in during my sizing process, and pay attention to handle pressure. This alerts me to any pins in flash hole....doesn't happen very often but can. Another way is to manually inspect case as its headed into sizer or annealer (not a bad step for this and other general inspection anyway). Any pins I find stuck in flash holes get discarded and not added back into mix as they are typically out of spec (nub on the end or other).

All of that being typed...be'ins I know you own a FART, and believing they come with a sifter that can be inserted in one end...... you might/should be able to get away with running hose in the top and rolling/agitating/shaking by hand over a bucket with sifter in the bottom. Water volume is your friend here.

(If you want heavier duty than those like the one linked above ... see Dillon https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2000 ... 23662.html )

hope this helps

After considering that you own a FART some more, and watching a video, and texting one of my buddies with a FART.

Here is what I would do if I owned your FART.

DISCLAIMER: Don't do any of this in kitchen sink or food prep area = common sense.

Shut off Tumbler.

Place Full FART with lids on in an empty 5 gallon bucket.

Remove one lid (bucket will catch any pins stuck in rim of lid).

Remove FART from bucket and carefully pour sludge into bucket (careful not to dump brass or pins).

Fill FART again with cold water from hose, repeat.

Discard sludge in a responsible manner (careful not to dump any pins that may be in bucket).

Refill 5 gallon bucket with clean cold hose water.

3/4 fill FART with cold hose water.

Insert strainer and tighten on FART.

Invert FART (strainer down) and set into 5 gallon bucket full of clean cold hose water.

Unscrew other lid (the one you haven't taken off yet, facing you) and let sink.

Run hose in bucket until all suds are gone (shake FART to speed process). Water/suds overflowing the bucket.

Now...for the remaining separation part...while FART is submerged or partially submerged inside 5 gallon bucket full of cold hose water (separator screen on bottom, open on top)....manually agitate/shake/roll FART in 5 gallon bucket of cold hose water. Be aggressive, just don't flip them out the top.

Pins will flow out the bottom of FART into bucket of water.

When pins all out, lift out of water and shake over bucket to get water out of FART.

This is what I would do if I owned a FART with two openings and a strainer before spending another dime.

Water is your friend here.

Lol. I'm considering installing a utility tub just for my reloading.. to deal with rinsing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenhead, you explained it very well. Thank you.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I am still new and over time I will learn what to do or not to do. (y) Going to research on the media strainers, but first I will try it manually like Greenhead explained before spending money.

Now I believe it that its no easy task as getting dust off the cases using a vibratory tumbler. :lol:

Tack,

Another tip. When the cleaning solution you have runs out, use this, it'll work as good, probably better.

Dawn blue liquid Dish Soap ...

it comes either non concentrated or concentrated https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dawn-Origina ... 3=&veh=sem

Dawn also sells the same blue stuff but it is concentrated/says concentrate on it (more expensive). Both work great. In your sized FART, I would start with a two second squirt of Dawn (the stuffs to messy to measure, doesn't need to be exact...approximately two tablespoons). If you buy the concentrated, start with a 1.5 second squirt. Error on the long side within reason. If your sludge doesn't have suds on it (or you aren't making sludge) when opened, add another second of squirt time next time. The Dawn is what suspends the crud in the water, amongst other things.

Second....important, along with the Dawn use Lemi Shine Granular (citric acid). It's a hard water treatment used for washing dishes. The right amount will depend upon your water (hard/soft). Get the granular (cheaper/better than the liquid). This stuff is the bomb. For your sized FART, full of water, I would start with two 45 ACP cases of the granular. A little goes a long way. No, it won't hurt your brass. The Granular stuff will either say lemi Shine Original, or Lemi Shine Booster in an Green/Yellow container....both granular.

https://www.appliance-parts-experts.com ... gK_s_D_BwE

If your cases come out dirty, bump up the lemishine 1/2 a case. If your cases come out pink'ish, (cases are fine, load em), back off the limishine 1/2 a case.

Last tip ... Always try to rinse the cases as soon as you shut off the tumbler. A little set won't hurt them, but if you let them set overnight or longer they might start to begin to turn the color of the sludge. Again, won't hurt em, but you want bling!

Thanks again Greenhead, I already got the Dawn and Lemishine original for the next batch. Took notes and taped to the FART. (y)

Thanks for all this great info. You have made up my mind about switching from shell and cob cleaning and I'll keep what I have.

I have a FART and use the included screen with the tumbler first to separate most of the pins and brass. Frankford also has a rotary media separator that works very well. I use this with water to help rinse brass and without to just separate pins and brass. The rotary tumbler helps remove excess water too.

The fastest and most efficient brass dryer I've found is a stackable food dehydrator. I can dry a tumbler full of 9mm or 40 S&W in less than 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back