staBALL HD load data for 7mm rem mag

MJ_Post

Beginner
Sep 26, 2024
Does anyone have load data for the staBALL HD powder? I'm trying to build a load with nosler 175g long range in my 7mm rem mag.

Even a starting powder weight will help. I'll post the results if the data isn't available yet

A single 175 Nosler Partition from my 7mm Rem Mag took a mighty fine bull elk for me quite a few years ago. Muzzle velocity was about 2900 fps via sooty old H870 which is no longer available.

StaBall HD is a fine powder and can produce 2900+ fps from a 175 and the 7mm Rem Mag. I've always liked the 160 - 175 grain bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag, but have been messing with some lighter bullets in recent years, mostly just out of curiosity. Some of the lighter monolithic bullets look pretty doggone good.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
A single 175 Nosler Partition from my 7mm Rem Mag took a mighty fine bull elk for me quite a few years ago. Muzzle velocity was about 2900 fps via sooty old H870 which is no longer available.

StaBall HD is a fine powder and can produce 2900+ fps from a 175 and the 7mm Rem Mag. I've always liked the 160 - 175 grain bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag, but have been messing with some lighter bullets in recent years, mostly just out of curiosity. Some of the lighter monolithic bullets look pretty doggone good.

Regards, G

Regards, Guy
Guy, I used that old H870 in 25-06 years ago also. Cheap and shot great. Dan.

A 175 NP at 2,900 seems hard to beat for elk in the 7 MAG. How fast can you push that 160 mono ?
The monolithic copper or copper-alloy bullets are a bit different from our good ol' lead-core jacketed bullets aren't they? Can be challenging to get the same velocity, without excess pressure...

Still, 2900 fps from the 160 gr mono bullets is quite possible, and 3000 fps may be within grasp without pushing the limits too much. One of those things I advise thinking clearly about and working up carefully, watching for signs of excess pressure. I'm quite willing to go to a 150 or even 140 gr mono bullet for big game with the 7mm magnums. Saw a grizzly quickly dispatched with a single 140 gr Barnes TTSX from a 7mm Rem Mag. That was impressive! The hunter came to me later that day in camp to talk after he realized that he'd bought 160's for the grizzly hunt, but left them at home and used his normal Barnes 140 gr factory ammo. We were both impressed with how well the rather light bullet handled that typical 6.5' interior grizzly.

Guy

Yes, I loaded Barnes X bullets back in the 90's, Pressure jumped quickly. Was that hunter in camp with you on a multi species hunt ?

Back