Staball HD

As far as I know, they are two very separate companies.

Superformance and LeverEvolution were probably developed with a specific intent of providing a powder for ammo that Hornady wanted to produce.

Guy
"Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?"

Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Targeted velocities are well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition!

Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

Made in the USA. "

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?"

This is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady's innovative and award-winning, high-performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester."

Just like Winchester works with Nosler to make the combined technology coated ballistic tip bullets they are still separate companies.

"Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?"

Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Targeted velocities are well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition!

Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

Made in the USA. "

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?"

This is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady's innovative and award-winning, high-performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester."

Just like Winchester works with Nosler to make the combined technology coated ballistic tip bullets they are still separate companies.
I have a jug of superformance, but wish QL had it on their powder selection.

My only experience with Superformance has been in the 260Rem. and it didn't achieve anymore velocity than RamShot Hunter. H4350 was close. Grouped well but when it's gone, I don't plan on buying any more of it. As for LVR it did as advertised in my 35 Rems. Dan.

Hey Guy, have you or Gavin ran HD through it’s paces yet with a 7mm Rem Mag yet? I’ve been working with LRT with 175-180 grain bullets from a couple 26” 1:8 twist barrels getting some really great results. Im working an accuracy node at 2925 fps with Berger 180gr Hybrids. It’s showing a lot of promise.
I ended up with 15 lbs of Staball HD and haven’t burned a grain of it yet. All 1 pounders. Im thinking of mixing it all and making one lot so there’s no change between bottles. I want to work with it on 140gr E-Tips, and 160gr Partitions. Also, does anyone actually know how temp stable the Staball’s are? I’ve heard the 6.5 variety is very stable.

I have a jug of superformance, but wish QL had it on their powder selection.
I’m sitting on a 8lber of it also. Waiting on getting through the N555 and Hybrid 100V that I’m currently using. Late last year I emailed NECO on that issue with QL. Renée’s response was clear frustration with Hogdgon not releasing it to them.

I like Ramshot LRT a lot so far, but really want to get some first hand information on SB HD. Ramshot LRT seems to be the perfect burn rate for heavies in a 7RM. You start seeing pressure at about 107-110% case fill. Velocity is great, and accuracy is pretty nice even without doing any formal accuracy development. It’s mostly been pressure and velocity testing to this point. I use TebbDust so no copper fouling. It gives Full case fill, small SD and ES ‘s and 2925-2969 fps with 180gr Hybrids. The pressure curve is also very linear. There were no spikes in pressure or surprises along the way so far. I started getting stiff bolt lift at 3053 fps so backed down almost 2 grains and 2925-2989 fps seems to be a nice area to work. It’s a nice powder to work with. Groups start to get smaller as the case fills. I got an 8 pounder at first, then tried it and saw potential. Once I saw that I bought another 8lber and a couple singles. I figured I may be working with this stuff for a while. It gives less than MOA just starting out with it. Last time a powder was this easy to work with was when I first tried IMR4831.

I‘ll Probably never shoot what I have on hand as it is. I have a good stock of the new stuff, and plenty of all my old school standbys that will last longer than the throats of all my rifles. Powder, primers, brass, and bullets……… more than I’ll list here.

As an example, I just loaded 100 rounds of 270 Winchester this evening. My favorite load of 130gr BT’s over 57 grains of IMR4831……….that will get me through at least a couple years of range time and deer seasons As far as my 270’s go. It gives better than 3100 fps from 24” barrels and is always very accurate.

I consider myself very lucky in this aspect. Many don’t have this luxury. With the state of the prices we are facing I think I’ve made my last primer or powder purchase unless things drastically change. There’s nothing I need for any of my recreational shooting, defense, or hunting needs at all. I’ll still shoot and hunt, but I’ve had my fill of being held hostage by manufacturers.

I‘ll Probably never shoot what I have on hand as it is. I have a good stock of the new stuff, and plenty of all my old school standbys that will last longer than the throats of all my rifles. Powder, primers, brass, and bullets……… more than I’ll list here.

As an example, I just loaded 100 rounds of 270 Winchester this evening. My favorite load of 130gr BT’s over 57 grains of IMR4831……….that will get me through at least a couple years of range time and deer seasons As far as my 270’s go. It gives better than 3100 fps from 24” barrels and is always very accurate.

I consider myself very lucky in this aspect. Many don’t have this luxury. With the state of the prices we are facing I think I’ve made my last primer or powder purchase unless things drastically change. There’s nothing I need for any of my recreational shooting, defense, or hunting needs at all. I’ll still shoot and hunt, but I’ve had my fill of being held hostage by manufacturers.
My Dads exact .270 load, for a few decades.☝️Facrory m700 BDL back when EVERY one would print tight. 22”

I’m sitting on a 8lber of it also. Waiting on getting through the N555 and Hybrid 100V that I’m currently using. Late last year I emailed NECO on that issue with QL. Renée’s response was clear frustration with Hogdgon not releasing it to them.
Here's what I'm thinking about trying? You can add powder in the powder section of QL and knowing volume per cc, known velocity you should be able to adjust/tweak values. Going by burn rate and heat charts of "it sits between these 2" for possible and faster adjustments? Just a thunk?

Loaded some at 60.6 gns a 1/2 gn over published max. Velocity came to 2883 avereage. ES of 10 and SD of 4. COL of 2.945. It really came around in my gun. I tried 2 different powder charges with a Federal 210m and cci br2. 12 shots under a 1".

Back