New Winchester StaBall powders

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
For those that didn't see this, Winchester (Hodgdon) has added 2 powders to the StaBall lineup. No data has been posted or added to their Reloading Data Center yet, but just from what I read, it appears that one of these powders will be faster (4064 ish) and one will be slower (4831 ish) than the original StaBall6.5 that has been out for the past couple of years. Supposedly data will be available in the new '23 Hodgdon Annual.

StaBall HD

StaBall Match

Also there is some discussion floating around that Hodgdon is in talks to resume production of the IMR Enduron line of powders that was put on hold here as of late.

I’d be willing to get at least an 8 pounder of each HD, and Match when available.

Staball 6.5 performs like a ball version of IMR4831 in my 270 Win. It is very accurate, it pushes almost to RL26 velocities, and temp stable. I‘ll be waiting for these two new powders with much anticipation.

The Staball 6.5 gets my 270 Win to 3150ish with 130 grain Partitions, and Ballistic Tips with a 56 grain charge. Nice rounded primers and easy extraction. It’s an outstanding powder.

Last edited:
Meh...

The infamous pressure immunity chase still going on.

Every couple years there seems to be a "new powder" "more impervious" to pressure change than days ago

Considering it's all under one roof now so to speak I'm thinking this stuff is rebadged Hodgdon superformance. A least using that technology 🤷‍♂️
That was supposed the latest greatest barometer fighting powder at the time around the middle to slower third burn rate

Considering it's all under one roof now so to speak I'm thinking this stuff is rebadged Hodgdon superformance. A least using that technology 🤷‍♂️
That was supposed the latest greatest barometer fighting powder at the time around the middle to slower third burn rate
I'd love to try working with superformance because it's available in bulk around here, but haven't taken the swing yet.

It’s a niche powder, and they make that quite clear in the advertisements, but like they say “when it works, it really works” I set aside 4831 in favor of superformance in my 280. It provides both top velocity and excellent accuracy. If you have a cartridge it’s recommended for, it’s definitely worth trying.

It’s a niche powder, and they make that quite clear in the advertisements, but like they say “when it works, it really works” I set aside 4831 in favor of superformance in my 280. It provides both top velocity and excellent accuracy. If you have a cartridge it’s recommended for, it’s definitely worth trying.

Good to hear I have a 8lb’er of Superformance in line after I finish up my Hybrid 100V.

Back