Static and dealing with it

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
It seems some powders and tools are more prone to static than others. I dropped a pound of STABall 6.5 in to 22-250’s via powder measure. Aluminum weight pan, verify digitally and double check on my balance scale, then through my powder funnel with drop tube, zero issues.

Now I’m trying to do the same with TAC and my 223Rem. The funnel and drop tube that gave me no trouble on STABall is giving me fits with powder clinging. I switched to a different funnel, no drop tube and it was easier, but still had to really play around with how I was transferring from the pan to funnel.

Does anyone have a simple solution to static? I’ve wiped down with alcohol, but it doesn’t seem to be the magic answer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I got my new thrower I wiped it down with a dryer sheet a few times, using a new sheet during the process a few times. Dumped a pile of powder and ran it thru and haven’t had any issues.

jezzolo":33nnngup said:
When I got my new thrower I wiped it down with a dryer sheet a few times, using a new sheet during the process a few times. Dumped a pile of powder and ran it thru and haven’t had any issues.
I'm going to remember this if I can ever get rolling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jezzolo":1j0fp24r said:
That’s what I was hoping. I didn’t find dryer sheets at home, so sprayed static guard on paper towel and wiped the funnel with it. Whooshed right through.
(Also wiped it with dry towel after)

I’ll do the powder dispenser after I empty it later today.

I read somewhere that static guard on digital scales helps with fluctuating zero. Never tried it, and I can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure a google search will turn up the article.

Now you also know why you are NEVER to use anything plastic a around real black powder. One little static spark can ruin your day.

I use the dryer sheets also. Here is another little tip. If you use a media in your tumbler that leaves a lot of clinging dust to your cases just cut up some 1" squares of dryer sheets and add to your tumbler bowl and it helps stop this.

That and you can wash tubes in dishwashing soap and water, don't rinse and let air dry .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I've used both static guard as well as used dryer sheets (new ones have too much chemical on them). Either works.

Dr. Vette":7096xaa4 said:
I've used both static guard as well as used dryer sheets (new ones have too much chemical on them). Either works.
You put your finger on my concern.. chemical residue. Thank you.

Even had that concern with static guard hence the wipe twist approach.

Summary:

1) used dryer sheets are ok for static on plastic parts.
2) if no used dryer sheets, static guard sparingly on a rag or paper towel. Consider a clean wipe after.

From accurate shooter, I found this post as to the suggestion to help a digital scale with zero drift.

GS Arizona found that the Static Guard actually worked: “The spray works great, just as John said it would. I spray all surfaces that I touch with my hands and arms as well as the pan (top and bottom), the metal tray on which the pan rests and the table under the scale. In six months or so of using the spray I’ve re-applied it about two or three times; it certainly isn’t something that you need to do each time you sit down to load. Before using the spray, it was not uncommon for me to re-zero the scale 10 times in the course of loading 72 rounds; now it might need it once during a session.”

My powder drop is empty at the moment. I’ll clean is with alcohol then I’ll treat it with static guard.

While I was dropping TAC, I’d get a couple tenths of flutter. 26.7 was my target, and I’d drop 5 or 6 no problem, then I’d get 26.8 26.9 or 26.6... the beam scale helped me verify where true north was. I realize having a node centered there, I’m being picky. I’m figuring the flutter was probably cause by powder orientation due to low level static on the gear..

If I learn anything useful, I’ll report back.

Back