static when reloading

Danielgelinas

Beginner
Mar 7, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have never seen this before. I've been reloading for ten years now and this is a first for me.

When pouring the charge in the case, the charge sticks to the mouth and makes charging frustrating.

I'm charging 31 grains of Varget in a 22-250 NOSLER once fired case.

Thanks for any info on how to avoid this.

Regards,

Dan

Attachments

• charge.jpg
    charge.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 521
The times I've experienced it, it was a little case lube in the necks and the powder stuck to it..Now after I size I run them through the vib cleaner for a little while..Another time was a new plastic Lyman powder funnel was imparting a static cling to the powder..I wiped it down with a dryer sheet and the problem went away.

hunter24605":2t0yi32m said:
The times I've experienced it, it was a little case lube in the necks and the powder stuck to it..Now after I size I run them through the vib cleaner for a little while..Another time was a new plastic Lyman powder funnel was imparting a static cling to the powder..I wiped it down with a dryer sheet and the problem went away.

Nailed it. I now use a rotary tumbler with stainless steel pins for cleaning, avoiding lube in the next. Problem eliminated.

A little alcohol or lighter fluid on a q-tip would probably be an easy way to eliminate the problem without the need to tumble.

Hmmm,

Just remembered its the case lube!!! Forgot to clean the cases after neck sizing.
I'll try the Qtip and alcohol trick.

Would an IPA work if it was 6.2% alcohol? ;)

Thanks guys!!!

Dan

My buddy dips his neck brushes in isopropyl before starting a new batch of brass just to make sure there isn't any residual case lube on them that may end up in the case mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a powder funnel I made that fits inside the neck. The powder goes in without touching the neck, so the very light lube that's in the neck from resizing I just let in there for bullet seating. I do some things different but it saves a step and may help any bullet scraping when seating. My guns seem to like my methods so I guess I'll stick with it.

Back