stevens 243 shoots!!

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Wifey kinda bought me this stevens 243 for my bday. Now first off, I"ll be the first to admit I dont care for savage. Just had a bad taste in my mouth from the previous 2 I shot, or tried to get to shoot. I swore I'd never have one in my house...Well I mentioned to the wifey that I wouldn't mind having one for a cheap truck gun for coyotes, loaner gun, etc. My main thinking behind this is a 243 AI or 260 AI build in the future!! I figure if the thing dont shoot at least 1" at 100 yards, I can screw on a shilen barrel for $400 and then it will shoot for sure.

Well took it out shooting this morning and was decently surprised by the little stevens. After putting 5 rounds through it to get it on paper and what not, it was time to test some loads.

Out of 14 loads, 4 went under 1" with 3 going under .75" for 3 shots at 100 yards from a benchrest. The average was 1.2" I shot 50 rounds and didn't even clean once. Temp was 30-40 degrees so not much wait time inbetween shots. Was going to break in the barrel, but this is a $300 gun, I had to ask myself why am I breaking in this barrel??? I'll scrub it down tonight with a brush and some sweets and call it good. I had no malfunctions of any kind. Loading and unloading was good.

Overall, I would have to say I'm pretty impressed with this rifle so far. To just throw 14 loads together and have 4 go under 1" is a great start. Now I know where to work around and I'm sure it will be a consistent 3/4 MOA shooter.

Heres a pic of the rifle. I know we all know what unpainted stevens look like, but I've never seen one with a sightron scope on top, lol. Its an S1 3-9x40 w/mil-dot, perfect for a truck rifle IMO.

elcriu.jpg

Heres the best 3 groups from today, all 3 were with the 55-58g nbt's or vmax. Nice that it likes the little 55g-58g barrel burners!! I only had 2 loads with 70g nbt's with W760 and they didn't fare as well, about 1.5" With tweaking I'm sure I can get them down, but why bother right now.

296oqjb.jpg

2nbdemt.jpg

28jdsat.jpg

Not bad. I have been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of Savage. Most that I have seen will do what you experienced. Your wife did something good. Take her out on a nice date, or do the dishes. :lol:

Good shooting Cory. All the savages I ever worked with did well.

Remmy,

Congratulations on your 243. Your bride is a keeper and BTW, happy B Day!

Try this load.....

243 Win
70 gr BT, I have also used 70 gr SMK and Hornady 70 gr SXP
IMR 4895 39.5 grs
MV 3400ish fps
This was the old club load for a bunch of shooters. It shot well under MOA in 7-8 (maybe more) rifles. The 70 gr BT has decent BC and does a great job on ground hogs. Should be a dandy for you on the yotes.

For the 95-100gr bullets, sub MOA accuracy with 42.0 grs IMR 4350.
My rifle was a M70 XTR.
Let us know how this load shoots for you.

JD338

I've got some 70g nbt's. Only tried 2 loads with w760 and they didn't do to good. I might have a bit of 4895 leftover from my 22-250. I"ll have to definately give it a shot. 4350 looks to be good for the 70's to. Thats what we load for my moms 243 with 70g nbt's.

I dont plan to shoot anything heavier then 70g out of this rifle.

I would prefer it to shoot the 55's since its a truck gun and shooting fast and flat is the idea here. HOwever, I have had mixed results with the 55g nbt on coyotes up close. Depending on how many runners I see this year with the 55's, I will make the switch to the 70g and have to find a load for them.

I never had much luck with W760 in the 243. I only used IMR 4350 for the heavier bullets but it shot extremely well.

For what you want to do, the 70 gr BT should be just the ticket. And I bet it will work better than the 55 gr BT for song dogs both near and far.
IMR 4895 :wink:

JD338

Cool rifle. Can't beat that kind of performance for such a little payout. That will be a cool rifle to be able to bounce around and not really have to baby at all. Happy Birthday. Scotty

I have never had any trouble putting the yotes right down with the 55 BT out of my 243. I was shooting 52.5 gr. H414. I think its going to be six of one half dozen of the other. 55 or 70, both will work great!

Nice shooting! Get her tuned up and we'll go smack some yotes with it!

By the time I get the rifle in my hands, paying the FFL guy, paying for my background check, it pretty much evens out.

I would have never thought the 55s would shoot that good arent most 243 have a1in 10 twist? which is for bullets closer to 100 grs?

My bro in law is trying to work up a load for his 700 you guys think it would be worth trying some 70s or even 55s?

I think this stevens is like a 1 in 9 1/4" even...

I had a remington 700 adl in 243 few years back with 9 1/4" or 10" twist and it didn't particluarly like the 55's. Always had fliers with them...Loved the 85g sierra hpbt and 100g sierra gameking though.

My mom has a ruger mk2 that shoots the 55's very well with h380 or imr4064.

I think there definately worth trying. If you only want to try 1 for fear of them not shooting, I would try the 70g nbt. I think some rifles just dont like the 55g, its really short...No where near the lands...

I would work with the 70's more out of this rifle, but I would rather have the 55 shoot out of this one because they are quite a bit flatter then the 70. For a truck gun, I want something very fast and flat. Kinda lucked out.

What COAL do you end up with after seating the 55's?

The Hodgdon Reloading Center lists their tests with a length of 2.650".
That only puts about 1/8" of bearing surface of the bullet into the .243
neck. Can that work?

Back