Strange find in 7600 Rem!

E in the 141, that Lever powder would be the way to go, I don't know what would be better. I'm just using lower book charges of H4895 in mine because I got a lot of it, but Lever certainly gives you more velocity while still staying under pressure in those older rifles.

But in my 760 where more pressure is allowed, H4895 is "the" powder in that rifle for both speed and accuracy. I'm getting right what you're getting in just a 22" barrel and that load routinely shoots in the 3/4" range at 100. Occasionally just over an inch.

If I enter the 200 CLRN bullet length I measure, and my load in GRT it shows 2362 fps with a 22" barrel while still staying under 40,000 psi, even though the 760 can go higher. I haven't tried Lever, but I love H4895 in my 760. And you're right, those kind of speeds gives the 35 Rem new life.

I came up with my load all on my own just working up carefully and figuring it out myself in completely uncharted waters............GRT sure would've been nice to ease some initial uncertainties!

E in the 141, that Lever powder would be the way to go, I don't know what would be better. I'm just using lower book charges of H4895 in mine because I got a lot of it, but Lever certainly gives you more velocity while still staying under pressure in those older rifles.

But in my 760 where more pressure is allowed, H4895 is "the" powder in that rifle for both speed and accuracy. I'm getting right what you're getting in just a 22" barrel and that load routinely shoots in the 3/4" range at 100. Occasionally just over an inch.

If I enter the 200 CLRN bullet length I measure, and my load in GRT it shows 2362 fps with a 22" barrel while still staying under 40,000 psi, even though the 760 can go higher. I haven't tried Lever, but I love H4895 in my 760. And you're right, those kind of speeds gives the 35 Rem new life.

I came up with my load all on my own just working up carefully and figuring it out myself in completely uncharted waters............GRT sure would've been nice to ease some initial uncertainties!
That's a great load too! My load is NOT hot at all and I am sure I could get very close to 358W factory numbers but I am NOT going to bother, 2350 fps with a 200gr bullet with a 358 diameter will knock the snot out of any Whitetail Buck that ever lived! And since I will Not be firing at them much over 100yds, because of the density of the North Maine Woods. I think it is about perfect for tracking deer here.
I am going to do my best to kill a nice 10 pointer that's way over 200lbs that got away from me last fall.
Good Shooting.
E

That's a great load too! My load is NOT hot at all and I am sure I could get very close to 358W factory numbers but I am NOT going to bother, 2350 fps with a 200gr bullet with a 358 diameter will knock the snot out of any Whitetail Buck that ever lived! And since I will Not be firing at them much over 100yds, because of the density of the North Maine Woods. I think it is about perfect for tracking deer here.
I am going to do my best to kill a nice 10 pointer that's way over 200lbs that got away from me last fall.
Good Shooting.
E
That load will make a nice exit wound and leak the life out of any big north woods buck you hit through the slats.

JD338

JD,
When I was a kid 1/2 of the old time guides around here; were still lugging either an old model 8 or an 81 Remington usually in 35 Remington! All of them considered it to be fine on Moose or big Black Bear. It's funny to me that over the years, now everyone needs twice that horsepower to shoot a ground hog? I really feel nothing has changed, except hunters don't know how to shoot their guns as well ( except at a target in a rock solid rest) folks around here were always blasting away at beer cans at 100yds with open sights! My mother could clean off 5 cans with her little .250/3000 Savage 1899TD in very short order! Every buck that ever showed up down in the apple orchard usually wound up on the game pole! She was deadly with her Remington 1100 /20 ga on skeet. The new breed thinks they can offset practicing with a big fancy magnum, but it just don't work that way.
Oh well to each his own.
E

E,
Keep in mind that some of these guys also mount a Hubbel telescope on their big gun and use the ballistic reticle to shoot 400-500 yards at fur because they think they can.

JD338

LoL, 🤣
Back in the day the guides used to refer to scoped rifles, as having a "TV set" mounted on top of the receiver! The worst was a set of " see thru mounts" those combined with a cheap scope/ poor eye relief; was one of the biggest ' buck savers' ever concocted. Only thing worse than a set, of see thru mounts, is 2 sets, of see thru mounts.....
Used to see em alot in 70/80's God knows why??? It was standard procedure to "Jack em a Deer" Friday nite, so they had one to strap to the fender, so they didn't have to go home empty handed! Going rate $20 bucks/6-8 pointer. Which was a days guides wages back in late 70's. Not something you hear bout much, but was very common back in the day........
E

Back