Strange recoil pad setup???

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What is this thing? Is it permanent? Is the buttstock altered? Who makes this? Thank you

Attachments

• pad.jpg
    pad.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,117
Looks to be an example of Bubba Engineering. Rather than a "grind to fit" pad, the owner took a shotgun pad or some similar pad, affixed it to a metal cup and attached it to his stock. Hope it doesn't catch on.

The better question is; Who would want to put such a contraption on their rifle?

Someone obviously spent some time trying to build a better mousetrap (at least in their own mind)!

They would have been better off putting a Limbsaver on this firearm, or getting a firearm that produces less felt recoil.

Maybe something on a trap or skeet gun where they would want to adjust the length of pull based on the clothing they were wearing that day??? More concerned with function than looks I suppose.

DrMike":1afu6e82 said:
Looks to be an example of Bubba Engineering. Rather than a "grind to fit" pad, the owner took a shotgun pad or some similar pad, affixed it to a metal cup and attached it to his stock. Hope it doesn't catch on.

Might look good on your 358 Norma :shock: or maybe not...............

gerry":30t7c1vs said:
DrMike":30t7c1vs said:

Might look good on your 358 Norma :shock: or maybe not...............

Hmmmmm. Let me think about that.

Nope. :mrgreen:

Fotis LOL I have no idea why one of my dad's favorite songs popped into my head when I saw this--Faster horses, Younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Allen ( afg270) I passed on the stroll through central park at night, but I did check out St Patricks Cathedral, very pretty. If you get the opportunity check out the Sistine Chapel in Rome/Vatican, another pretty one.

boy you guys take this super bowl thing very seriously LOL

To be honest New York City has never been my favorite place to visit, but it does make me yearn for places that make recoil pads like the one Fotis posted LOL

There used to be some contraptions like that used by .22 rimfire position match shooters. Wanting to position it best for the changes in shoulder coming from prone on up. Except that doesn't look like it. Al Freeland marketed some of them way back when. They would adjust left/right and up/down easily.

I can't think of the name of the company that makes them and couldn't find it at Brownells but elkeater2 is pretty close as to what it is used for and they where made for trap and skeet shot guns to change the drop of the stock and cant for skeet and sporting clays I believe. It might be an Anderson adjustable recoil pad but not sure.

Buy it and then you can tell us what it is. You can always find a factory replacement stock if that one was altered to fit the device on it but looks like someone had arms like an Orangutan and the stock was tooo short for them.

Yikes!
Looks like a prototype of the old Answer recoil reduction system.

JD338

Those aluminum buttstock spacers were/are pretty common in target shooting circles. They're well made and very good quality. Note that the rear-most one can be adjusted up and down, to alter the height of the recoil pad.

However, in this application... Yuck.

I suspect it was some large fellow who needed the stock extended, and thought that was the best way of doing it. His only other real option may have been an entire new stock.

Guy

This is the only photo I have of my old match rifle. It was built by former USA 1,000 yard prone champion Jim Cloward, for Gary Rasmussen who was a prominent member of the U.S. Palma team for many years. It served as a Palma (prone competition at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards) rifle and also in across the course competition. I managed to beat guys with AR-15's in rapid fire for time and accuracy in a match here in central Washington using it... 10 rounds. And it held only five.

It had what appears to be part of the same system. But also with an adjustable length of pull. Important in match shooting when a competitor might be shooting from prone, sitting and standing. The same length of pull is NOT optimal in each position. Nor the height of the recoil pad.

So - that's what the system is designed for. And it looks like someone took it and used it on a hunting rifle. Not beautiful, but... Perhaps his best option at the time? I'd almost bet the fellow who took that course of action was tall and lean.

Regards, Guy

I guess I am the one that has to say it right out :roll: that contraption is just plain UGLY :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Wish I had a photo of my .300 WSM Model 70 the way it was when I bought it... :grin:

I'm 6' tall, and the fellow I bought it from was at least 5" taller... He was trying to use it in long-range prone competition, and had to lengthen the stock. He used two thick pieces of plexiglass to make the stock longer, and attached a recoil pad to the plexiglass pieces! It worked, but was pretty ugly too.

As I am a midget compared to him, I figured the standard length stock would fit me just fine, so I removed and tossed those pieces of plexiglass, then attached the recoil pad to the laminated wood stock. The stock now fits me well, and looks about 100% better!

Guy

Back