Strange start to the mule deer season

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Hunting with my youngest son the next couple of days, and with a friend for a few days after that - but - I'm not even taking my rifle!

I've got a doe tag, good for after the regular season - and really have little interest in shooting a buck during the regular season, since I've got that doe tag. So, am going along as support!

Duties include: Jeep driver, cook, spotter w/binoculars, spotting scope & rangefinder, and likely strong back & legs for hauling said buck up and out of whatever canyon my much younger hunting companions decide to drop him into... Sheesh. :grin:

I am so doggone excited! Hoping that both my son and my buddy get their bucks!

Guy

We do reach a point in our hunting career that it isn't necessary to pull the trigger to enjoy being there. Good for you, Guy. The doe tag is a nice bonus.

Boy that sounds like your going to have a ball Guy and I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures. Good luck to your son's.

Very cool Guy.
Like you, this year I am putting my focus on Sue getting her first buck.
I did shoot a doe but only because she busted me in my tree stand and was making the other 6 deer nervous. First time in 10-12 years I have ever been busted by a deer in this stand. go figure.

Have fun.

JD338

Sounds like a blast to me!

Don't forget to bring a good camera and use it a lot!

Good luck! I love the r&or that comes when I don't have the filling of a tag weighing on me.

Guy, I don't like to say this but I have to agree with DrMike 8) there comes a age(Time) where just being on the hunt it what it is about :wink:.
I hope that your Son harvests a real nice buck & the two of you enjoy your time together.
When the time comes I am sure that you will connect on a nice fat doe and will have your freezer occupied with venison.
Have fun and be safe!!

Blessings,
Dan

I love it.

I tagged out on caribou in mid Aug this year... I got to go along and play guide, tracker, packer, chief cook and bottle washer for my son and 3 separate buddies over the next six weeks. Pure joy, knowing the freezer was full....it was play time!

Opening day. Couldn't get out until almost noon. Son had to work this morning. No buck tagged, but it was a mighty good father-son day in the Cascades!

John and his good old 6mm Remington:

Some fellow carrying a .44 mag revolver:

I think I'm along to pack out meat... :grin:

Guy

Good for you Guy! Some of the best time I ever had were just poking around with my Dad or Grandfather. On the order hand, I envision, yes bwana, me bring the gun bwana..... :p ......OK maybe not..... Have fun!! CL

Back