Stuck on the 25's.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Not necessarily intentional, just the way it's worked out. Last 3 rifles are in that caliber.

Picked up a 257 Roberts Ackley in a 98 custom, then a 257R in a BLR, and now this.

I had a synthetic stocked Browning A-bolt in 30-06 that I bedded and got shooting pretty well and sold. With the profit I'm into this one for $500, or $25 more than I paid for the A-bolt. Good trade off I think in the long haul as far as a desirable rifle.

Savage 99 A in 250 Savage. These are sometimes referred to as saddle guns. 20" barrel, straight stock, schnabel forend, tang safety. Bluing is real nice, action good and tight. Seems like it was shot very little. Late enough that it will have the 10 twist barrel, so will be able to shoot the 100 gr and up bullets. Next is finding a 1.5-5 scope for on it.

Full case color yet on the lever.

Depending how load development goes, and how it handles, I may carry this as my secondary rifle this yr instead of the BLR. We will see how I like it compared to the BLR.

Nice looking rifle. and I know the feeling of being stuck on the 25's. Just got into town today and already have my eye on a 25-06

You're gathering quite the stable of quarter bores. That looks to be a neat rifle if only for the historic aspect. I can't imagine that it would be easier carrying than the BLR.

Gosh darn! Man, you’re hitting the 257 lottery. Both the 257 and 250 Savage are cool darned lever guns. Man, congrats on the score and trading an A-Bolt for a 99 is a score in my book!

Nice rifle ST. That would be a handy deer zapper.

JD338

Thanks all.

Slimfinn":3i6ipj4i said:
Nice looking rifle. and I know the feeling of being stuck on the 25's. Just got into town today and already have my eye on a 25-06

Don't own a 25-06 but it's in the back of my mind to have one if it works out. Gonna take the right one, I'll know it someday if I see it.

DrMike":3i6ipj4i said:
You're gathering quite the stable of quarter bores. That looks to be a neat rifle if only for the historic aspect. I can't imagine that it would be easier carrying than the BLR.

And 25 caliber is some of the least amount of bullets I have. You'd think I'd of thought that through a little better! :lol: I don't believe it will be handier necessarily than the BLR, most likely not. If overall it's close in accuracy and handiness, I'll just have to make the choice.

SJB358":3i6ipj4i said:
Gosh darn! Man, you’re hitting the 257 lottery. Both the 257 and 250 Savage are cool darned lever guns. Man, congrats on the score and trading an A-Bolt for a 99 is a score in my book!

Thanks buddy. The ultimate in my view is a perch belly deluxe take down 99 in 250 Savage. But I don't want to pay what a really legit nice one costs..........and far as I know they were all earlier guns so there wouldn't be any with a 10 twist barrel, so limited in what bullets it would shoot. Fantastic looking rifles though in my opinion.

This isn't that, but I always wanted a 99 in 250 Savage, when the opportunity came along for a nice conditioned one at a undervalued cost, I grabbed it.

I’ve always wanted one myself and being a 10 twist makes it even better.

SJB358":168gar77 said:
I’ve always wanted one myself and being a 10 twist makes it even better.

I haven't confirmed it's a 10 twist, but I'm positive it is. From what I know they went to a 10 twist for the 250's in 1960. The series A 99's didn't start until 1969. This rifle like some of them are, does not have a lever boss code, but if I'm figuring the serial number right it's a 1970 model. Year I was born.......good year!! (y) :mrgreen:

Nice find Shade and looks like in really good shape. The 250 is a neat round and under appreciated. Know a lady who used that round when she deer hunted with her husband. Be waiting on a range report. Dan.

Saw a 250-3000 perch belly listed for sale here in the north the other day for a decent price, just not the deluxe model.
Has had a tang mounted peep sight installed on it in the past, so it does have the holes in the stock for that, otherwise in good shape.
Importing to the States can be done, just a paperwork hassle and about $350 for the export fee.

Yup - That's pretty much the pinnacle in the 250 Sav. world. Although I still prefer a bolt gun. The Ruger RSI is and the single shot turn out the trifecta. Again really nice, I'd take one in a flash. And the 1:10 twist is a definite plus. CL

Last edited:
I traded one of those off for a Walther PPk when I was a rookie cop. Worst decision I ever made. Sadly I never replaced it.
Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always wanted one of those 99’s. That a great looking one too. Look forward to some range pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":1h7pl3i5 said:
Always wanted one of those 99’s. That a great looking one too. Look forward to some range pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gonna be doing that this week unless my schedule doesn't allow it. I ran some IMR 4350 thru it with 100 gr Speer's and it didn't do bad at all, but I want to try both H4350 and H4895 in it also before I settle on something. Have a ton of H4895 and picked up some H4350 to try.

I know the pain…and joy from 257 group
1st gun 25-35 savage 1899 & still have it
also own 250 sav 99…
257 Roberts mauser 98 x2
25-06 rem 700 & m98 I built myself
257 wby rem 700 Cdl. X 2 why vanguard
& 1 m98 Roy wby clone in 257 wby.
love the 257 crowd

Shadetree,
Never heard whether you prefer carrying that 99 instead of the BLR...
You know there is welcoming home here in the north for that BLR if that proves to be true! ;)

Back