Subsonic 30-30 with Berry's Bullets

Pretty cool stuff Guy. I like that. Only bad thing I'd say is that for the general public, the component shortage, particularly primers, puts plinking shooting in the back closet of fond memories. But it's good info to store away for a later date. (y)

Yup. The component shortage is affecting all of us.

I find myself coming up with new loads for my rifles because I often can't get the powders I prefer.

Bright spot about that is I've found some powders that work really well, and I would have probably not tried them, like IMR 8133 in the 7mm Rem Mag. Wow!

Regards, Guy

I prefer to shoot my own home cast bullets, especially in the 30-30 although I've used the same loads in the .308 Win. and 30-06

Basically the lighter loads use cast bullets ranging from 100 to 120 grains, usually over 5.0 to 10.0 gr. of Unique. Even the lighter load is not quite subsonic but they're usually pretty accurate and are great for paper, plinking or in some cases small game up to jackrabbits. Bullet weights depend on what type gun you're shooting. The Winchester M94 will only feed the the 120 gr. SSAECO bullet I have. The others have to be use as if the rifle was a single shot. The Marlin 336 Texan will feed the 110 gr. bullets most of the time with an occasional hang up and 120 gr. bullets feed just fine. Neither lever guns will feed the 100 gr. bullet so they're used as if the guns were single loaders.

The Winchester M54 30-30, neat bolt action rifle will work with all three bullets and usually give good accuracy and feed smoothly.

Pet loads are as mentioned either 5.0 or 10.0 gr. of Unique. After charging the case, I take a quarter square of toilet paper tamped lightly against the powder charge to hold it against the primer. If shooting against the wind, be prepared for a little confetti coming back at you. Bullets are sized to .310". Any brass or primer seems to work just fine. FWIW, at one time these were called "gallery" loads.
Paul B.

I prefer to shoot my own home cast bullets, especially in the 30-30 although I've used the same loads in the .308 Win. and 30-06

Basically the lighter loads use cast bullets ranging from 100 to 120 grains, usually over 5.0 to 10.0 gr. of Unique. Even the lighter load is not quite subsonic but they're usually pretty accurate and are great for paper, plinking or in some cases small game up to jackrabbits. Bullet weights depend on what type gun you're shooting. The Winchester M94 will only feed the the 120 gr. SSAECO bullet I have. The others have to be use as if the rifle was a single shot. The Marlin 336 Texan will feed the 110 gr. bullets most of the time with an occasional hang up and 120 gr. bullets feed just fine. Neither lever guns will feed the 100 gr. bullet so they're used as if the guns were single loaders.

The Winchester M54 30-30, neat bolt action rifle will work with all three bullets and usually give good accuracy and feed smoothly.

Pet loads are as mentioned either 5.0 or 10.0 gr. of Unique. After charging the case, I take a quarter square of toilet paper tamped lightly against the powder charge to hold it against the primer. If shooting against the wind, be prepared for a little confetti coming back at you. Bullets are sized to .310". Any brass or primer seems to work just fine. FWIW, at one time these were called "gallery" loads.
Paul B.

Paul - I never went down to 5.0 grains of Unique in the 30-30, but have shot the 10 grain load with 150 grain cast bullets. Fun!

Regards, Guy

Super cool!!!
I’ve been researching mouse fart loads so I can small game hunt with my Winchester 94.
Gonna try this

Super cool!!!
I’ve been researching mouse fart loads so I can small game hunt with my Winchester 94.
Gonna try this
If you use Trail Boss powder, I'd recommend staying at the 8 grain level. Things got kinda crazy up at 10 grains of TB. HUGE velocity swings.

Regards, Guy

Back