Superformance powder in 280 Rem with 120's

338 Ultra

Beginner
Aug 14, 2011
Ok guys I am going to try this from my laptop while out of town so the picture might load and might not and I am not a computer guy so fingers crossed.

I started working with Hodgdon's Superformance in my buddy's 300 short mag last year with stellar results and insane velocity's with 150 grain bullets. Groups were 3/8" or less for 5 shots once the load was found. The rifle is a browning that has been rebarreled bedded floated triggered and all that good stuff. In that respect I figured that the rifle should shoot with the right powder burn rates for 150's.

So just to see if the superformance would give results in a pretty much bone stock rifle, I started tinkering with my Ruger Hawkeye in S/S .280 Rem. This is a rifle that I use quite a bit she is always in my truck during hunting season and gets some less that nice treatment at times, but has been suprisingly accurate with 140's and 160's
and will put 175 partitions in to one ragged hole for 3 shots day in and day out. The only thing I have done to this rifle is properly torque the action screws and install a timney trigger. Scope is a Leupold VX1 3x9 the whole package is inexpensive as a general beater should be.

I loaded the test ammo quite a while ago but never got to shoot it till this past Sunday while at the farm for a couple of days.

Here is what I have observed with the superformance powder in working with it in two rifles so far.

Burns very clean ,very easy to meter, gives serious velocity versus other powders that I would normally use, much less barrel heating than my regular go to powders, to the point that the lack of barrel heat is suprising, well at least to me that is. Very accurate. I know a cross section of two rifles and two load combo's is not a very scientific measure of accuracy potential but the future does look bright as I plan to
continue to test other calibers with this powder.

Here is the load info ( if anyone wants to run the QL on this to compare my measured MV versus the predicted MV please do)

280 Rem 22 inch Barrel
280 Rem Brass new ( full prep work flash holes primer pockets ect)
Win LR primers
58 grains Superformance thrown then trickled up to weight
120 Nosler B tip
OAL at SAMMI 3.33 picked this oal to start with
MV measured at 15 feet 3266 fps ave for 10 shots

Rifle was sighted for 175`s last year so she was shooting this load way high and I had to dial down to get on at 100 yards. Once I was dialed in I had 4 rounds left so I cleaned the barrel and shot the last 4 for a serious group. The clean bore shot went high and the next 3 as you can see gave a nice group. I have to shoot this again to see if it is repeatable. Hopefully I will be able to do it this weekend, have one more shift on this hole, and all the farm stuff is pretty much done but the geese are coming in droves so might get to pound some geese in the mornings. I plan on working with this powder with the 260 Rem even though there is no published data from Hodgdon I feel that I can work up a load in time that may just be suprising once again.

Running QL is not possible as SuperFormance hasn't been included in the data set yet. Still, that is surely giving you some nice, tight groups.

Very nice. I haven't used SF in anything, but like RL17, it does well when it's in the niche. Seems like accuracy is excellent and that would be one of heck of a varmint/deer buster.

SF is right there with RL-19 and H-4831 as far as the amount of powder you can use. I agree that it burns cleaner than other powders I use. I have found you can exceed the limits if you work up carefully, but you don't sacrifice accuracy. Good stuff!

What an outradious load for Deer............................ totally perfect out to 400 yds .
Super gun with a super load! 8)

Just a quick update on this load

I shot it again this weekend and the accuracy is the same I shot five more three shot groups and one was right at one inch the other four were pretty much exact as the first one I posted. I think I am good to go with this load.

Also started fooling with the 165 AB over Superformance in 30-06 and the first try with this combo gave 2932 fps out of a 24" barrel and accuracy at just one inch. This was 59 grains so I think working up a bit from this might tighten up the groups if not will go back to 59 and work on seating depth and see what happens. The rifle is a good shooter so I think it will do better once I play with it a bit.

Next up will be 260 Rem with 100-130 class bullets. I do already have a couple of really good loads with the 120 Btip and 125 Partition and one ok one with the 129 Hornady. Have not had the same success with the 100 grain Partition which would be a nice flat shooting bullet for filling doe tags and would be just about perfect for antelope if I ever draw a tag in the next couple of decades. There is no published data for the 260 but I figure I can work something out safely without any issues.

I really like this powder and how clean it burns and the lower barrel heat it puts out.

Just an update on some more Superformance work

Was at the farm yesterday and worked on the 30-06 load with 165's Kept the powder charge the same but worked on oal reducing it 5 thou at a time to see if groups would tighten up before adding more powder. I started this load at 3.340 and started retesting at 3.290 and 3.240. Both loads put 3 bullets into one inch and the groups looked the same as the 3.34 load. Seems that oal is not going to be an issue and this being a Rem 700 it is deep in the throat and the AB's do like jump so the next session will be a powder work up.
Played with my 260 Rem and 100 partitions next. Without data for this cartridge I worked from another max load that I had with H-414 under the 100 ballistic tip that shot ok. The max H-414 load is what I used to start with the 100 Partition and the superformance powder. This proved to be a pretty mild load, superformance is listed as just being a bit slower than H-4831 on the charts so I started working up a little bit but being pressed for time I could only get up 1.5 more grains. No pressure issues from start up to where I left off for the day. The first group was about 2 inches which is what this rifle has done with the 100 Partition and seven other powder/primer combo's . After going up .5 grains at a time the groups got smaller with the current max that I loaded being about 1-1/4". Sorry guys no speed measurements on this load work up as of yet. Once I get it dialed in I will shoot it across the screens. This is a Rem 700 short action so I have a normal throat and a normal mag length, but I think there is much more room to work up charge weight wise to get the groups tighter. If what I saw yesterday was any indication of powder increase versus group size then perhaps as I work up the groups will shrink to a point that oal can be worked on to get itty bitty groups.

As the 260 is a work in progress and there is no listed data for it with superformance powder I will not list any numbers that I have used...... Once I get it worked out I might give the info out on here or on PM if so requested but I can't say right now either way.

RL17 is getting me close to 3,300ft/s with 120 BT's and 120 TTSX's both shoot at the same point for a great swappola.

TN deer hunter":1ikeskfi said:
RL17 is getting me close to 3,300ft/s with 120 BT's and 120 TTSX's both shoot at the same point for a great swappola.

I have been hoping to try RL-17 since it came out but have never seen it in my local places yet. Powders right now are hit and miss here except for superformance and a couple of others. With what I have been seeing with superformance so far I am quite happy and once the word gets out about this powder I think it will become hard to find in this area too. Hopefully will be able to play with 17 soon really interested with it in the 06 and 280.

Back