Swarovski scope comparison.

G

In Bass Pro shop comparing 2 scopes .... both Swaros ..... Z5 3.5 - 18 x 44 & Z6 3 - 18 x 50. The Z6 was noticeably clearer.I was surprised at how much difference there was. Of course this comparison was made inside the store but both were in the same environment and under identical conditions. With $800 difference ( $1500 to $2300) there should be some difference. Sure do like the scopes except for the knobs.

The knobs just seem puny ..... delicate ... inadequate or something. They just don't feel substantial , robust or as if you have full control of them. You get the picture ... I just don't particularly like the feel of the knobs or how they work. It may be a personal dislike but it is there anyway. I keep thinking that with Swaros rep for standing behind their products it wouldn't be a problem if the knobs gave trouble AND I don't hear of problems with Swarovski scopes so they must work fine.

Anyone with experience with them?

You won't have a problem with a Swarovski. I own a Z5, and I love it.

Dr. Mike, Which one do you have? I would really like to have the Z6 but I can't stand the extra $800.

Al,

What are you going to use the scope for? That may put it all into perspective for you.
I am pretty happy with the Leupold Mark 4 series, very robust M1 knobs and more than enough light transmission in low light, even after legal shooting hours.
If you need more, consider Light Force. They are in the same price league as the Swaro. Keep in mind that you will be going to a 50-56mm Objective lense which will require high mounts and more weight.

JD338

Hi there,
i have 5 different swaro's. Great glass, and never a single problem with any of them. I had used Luepis in the past, but when I cannot see where that rock is a boar or a sow, and I can shoot the boar with my swaro, well, that is the difference. I also did an experiment that I posted a while back with swaro, zeiss, luepold, conquest, and kahles. I did not have a nightforce, but I hear good things about them. In my book, swaro and zeiss (not conquest) are far better than the others for low light, and for clarity. Never had anything go wrong with either of those...
Best '
Hardpan.

JD, The 3.5 low end power with a 18 top end is a power range that appeals to me for an all around good range for a 22-250 AI I am building. It seems to me it should cover all types of coyote hunting, crow sniping, targets etc. from "right here" out as far as the rifle will be capable of shooting. The Z5 is light, compact and a neat scope to handle.

Hardpan, Do you have any of the Z5 ones? Do you have any problems with using the knobs? What state do you hunt in?

260fan":19do0i6z said:
JD, The 3.5 low end power with a 18 top end is a power range that appeals to me for an all around good range for a 22-250 AI I am building. It seems to me it should cover all types of coyote hunting, crow sniping, targets etc. from "right here" out as far as the rifle will be capable of shooting. The Z5 is light, compact and a neat scope to handle.

Hardpan, Do you have any of the Z5 ones? Do you have any problems with using the knobs? What state do you hunt in?

I have a 3x12x56 Zeiss Victory Diavari Rapid Z 800. It has cross hairs out to 800. The reticle is about the same as the Rapid Z5. I don't turn knobs at all, unless it is to zero the scope. I don't have and probably would not use a bullet drop compensator, which would have a knob for distance.

I hunt California and my ranch in texas for deer, pigs, elk, antelope and birds. I rarely hunt coyote or small varmits.

Hardpan

Hardpan, The Z5 I was referring to was the Z5 Swaro. Which models of Swarovski scopes do you have? Thanks.

Hi there, sorry for the misunderstanding. Must be getting old.

I have
3 of 4x12 x 50mm with 1 inch tubes. Don't see a model number anywhere but it is market Swarovski and Habricht or something like that.

2 of 3 x 12 x 50 with 30 mm tubes. The 30mm tubes are definitely better in the dark, but I have almost never had the situation where it mattered.

Zeiss:
2 of 3x9 x 1 inch. These are the old Diavaris ... about 12 years old.
1 of 3x12 x 56 (*might be a 4x12) . This is the new Diavari with the Rapid Z reticle.

Kahles
1 3x 12 x 1 inch x 50 or 56 not sure. Great scope for the money, but not as clear as either ziess or swaro.

1 Ziess conquest that I gave to my middle son. Has a ballistic reticle, and is a nice scope, but the worst of the bunch.

I gave away Luepolds, had a couple of varix IIIs. It was one of them on that hog hunt that I mentioned earlier.

I use Ziess binos, but would love a pair of Liecas or Swaros. And I use a Leica rangefinder. I am not that happy with it as it is very fickle about actually working./
Hardpan

If you get a chance to look at a Meopta scope do it. I have a Zeiss 3-12X56 Diavari VM/V and my hunting buddy has a Swarovski Z6 2-12X50 and I have set the Meopta Meostar 3-12X56 side by side in all light conditions and can't tell any difference between them all. The Meopta's are all under $1000.00 . I have been told by a fellow that know scopes in a huge sporting goods store that really knows his stuff that Meopta makes some of the glass for Swarovski. I have my Meopta on a Rem 700 with a Shilen barrel in 264 Win Mag. It has held up great.

1Shot":22qo2u6w said:
If you get a chance to look at a Meopta scope do it. I have a Zeiss 3-12X56 Diavari VM/V and my hunting buddy has a Swarovski Z6 2-12X50 and I have set the Meopta Meostar 3-12X56 side by side in all light conditions and can't tell any difference between them all. The Meopta's are all under $1000.00 . I have been told by a fellow that know scopes in a huge sporting goods store that really knows his stuff that Meopta makes some of the glass for Swarovski. I have my Meopta on a Rem 700 with a Shilen barrel in 264 Win Mag. It has held up great.
These guys are not very well known. They used to be Optikotechna. I don't believe that they make glass, but they actually grind and vac deposit. (very few high quality glass makers in the world.) They also did a lot of military, including Germany in WW II.

Like a lot of Czech companies, they are a pretty high quality manufacturer with low prices. I would like to do my own comparison in very low light, but I don't know anyone with one of their scopes.

I would buy their scope before any non-Zeiss or Swaro. Just don't have the comparison information to get me to spend even $750 on an untested (by me) scope.
Hardpan

Back