swarovski service

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
My dad got his swarovski 1500 rangefinder out the other day and much to his surprise and mine, the dam thing wont turn on or range. The 1 and only button on the thing and its broke. It feels like its pressed down all the way and wont come back up. Its just really stuck from what I gather.

To top it off, it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Hunting season is around the corner and I finally drew my big bull tag after 11 years and now the rangefinder to help aid the 338 EDGE into possibly making a shot on a big bull at over 800 yards is not working. I do still have a nikon buckmasters 800 but its just that, a nikon 800. I can say that it has fallen off my truck doing 45 mph and its still working without a hiccup, go figure... My luck though, I will have me a big bull around 1K standing broadside sticking his tongue out at me.

So I call swarovski this morning to get the skinny on the warranty. Come to find out there warranty is a 2 year warranty. Great, its only 1.5 years old so no problem there. 2 year warranty for a $1000 optic is bogus anyways if you ask me... We didn't drop it or anything, so clearly not our fault as to why the dam things broke. The lady said to ship it back to them which is in Rhode Island I believe, and she said they then will ship it to Austria where it will be repaired. She also said it takes 10-12 weeks for the whole process which clearly puts me in a bind for having the rangefinder for my big bull hunt. She then goes on to inform me that swarovski has a "loaner" program. They will send you out the same replacement unit so you dont miss out on your hunt. The lady asked if I was a hunter and I said yes and so she told me about that program. I thought that was kinda cool. However there is a little catch which does make sense but, they need a credit card number, not to charge you, just to have incase you dont return it, then you will be paying for it. Anyways, dont really know my parents situation, but hoping they'll be able to do that.

Anybody else seen or heard of this happening?? My dad sure is not very happy about it, and neither am I really since that rangefinder is a key piece of our equipment. Its only a little over a year old and has barely been out in the field. Its been more out to the range and riding in the truck then anything. Never been dropped or left outside or in the dirt, etc.

Just think you pay $1000 for a rangefinder to last a while, not be in the next dam continent getting repaired during your biggest hunt of your life!!!

Remmy,

Sorry to hear about the Swaro. I agree with you, only a 2 yr warranty but it has to do with the electronic components and the environment that they could be subject to, including the battery leaking acid.

Under the circumstances, the loaner system sounds like a good bail out.
I would jump on it before the hunting season "rush" begins and there are no loaners available.

Congratulations on your big bull tag. Just what the 338 Edge has been waiting for. :grin:

JD338

Remmy,

I wasn't aware of the "loaner" program, but it certainly sounds like a good thing. Consequently, Leica has a limited warranty on its optics! Great glass; poor warranty compared to others in the business. This is why I have passed on a couple of occasions on some excellent prices on Leica. I am sorry to hear about the Swarovski, however. Truthfully, it is the first time I have heard of a Swaro claim. I'm with Jim, however, that this is an electronic issue, and that is much less reliable than is glass.

30 year warranty with swaroski verses unlimited lifetime warranty with Leupold.

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

That's a quote from thier website.

Longranger, Here leupold's warranty on a range finder

Leupold RX® Series digital laser rangefinders and the RXB™-IV laser range finding binoculars are warranted by the Leupold Green Ring Electronics Warranty, and are protected from defects in materials and workmanship for TWO YEARS (RX-III, RX-IV, and RXB-IV models) or ONE YEAR (RX-1000, RX-600 and RX-750 models) from the date of purchase.

You only get a year on some models and 2 on others. This is not nearly as good as their scopes, and I ended up throwing my leupold away once i heard of the repair price. I have a Leica, and that also has a limited warranty.
Hardpan

As is usual with most things there is more to the warranty story. Leica is revising their warranties to comport with European Union regulations. Additionally the LRF warranty is limited by the electronics of the laser transmitter and receiver.

I am still running my CRF 1200 Leica rangefinder, but I do admit to babying it just in case.

jim

I can't complain about the warrenty on swarovski. I bought my 10x42 slc binos in about 1991 and last year the adjustment ring and just about everything else starting cracking and breaking. They lived a HARD!!! life and did not get baby'd. I sent them in to Swarovski for a rehab and I said I would gladly pay for it. I paid the shipping there. It took about 6 weeks and what I got back looked brand new. The newer slimmer cylinders new eye cups and the lens coating was new. I can't say about the lenses themselves. All new outer parts. The accompanying invoice said. Repaired warn parts. No Charge. Thanks for buying Swarovski.
Will I buy from them again?
YOU BET!!!! :wink:

Well I just received the loaner unit today.

Will try it out tomorrow as I will be setting up a few gongs from 800-1200.

I cant really complain to much. I doubt I"ll end up paying more then the shipping to get the other one there and I still have one to use and hunt with in time before hunting season. Thats all that matters in my book really.

Glad to hear that you will have a LRF for your elk hunt.

JD338

Back