Talk me into it......

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
OK,
Those of you who know me, know that I am the self appointed champion of the 250 Savage. I have one, but a Savage american classic would already have a good trigger, feed properly on a consistient basis and probably shoot well. Cabelas here in Mn has several but they want $769.00 (200 down for lay-away). Is it worth trading in my current FN Mauser (feeding problems, creepy trigger, uncomfortable safety) but sub inch groups. Keep in mind I have 200+ rounds of brass all shot through the old rifle. I'd probably have to trade the Mauser in to afford the savage. No offense to the Savage, but the Mauser closes like a bank vault compared to the savage. However, for the reasons noted it is an uncomfortable rifle to really hunt with. What would you do? I know, I know, ya'll cant make the decision, but I'm bored ...... And I go back and forth. Some days I wouldnt trade off the Mauser just for sentimental reasons.... other days.... CL

CL,

If your current rifle is uncomfortable, get one that is.I think you will be happier in the long run.

JD338

If I had a FN Mauser in 250 Savage, there is no way I'd unload it for a Savage rifle.

All the problems you mention with the rifle are easily fixed by a decent gunsmith. I'd spend a few hundred bucks and send it in to someone who knows their rifles. You not likely to get enough out of the Mauser to swap even and if I had to spend some cash- I'd just as soon spend it on making a good rifle at a good gunsmith.

I know I'd be happier in the long run with a well tuned Mauser than any of the new bolt action Savages.

Just my .02

You can get a trigger that will fix both the creep hard pull and awkward safety in one whack for under $100. The feeding problems can be fixed by a smith for not much $$. If the rifle shoots great fix it.

I'd not unload a Mauser for a Savage. I particularly not unload a Mauser that shoots small groups for a Savage. I understand the siren song of a new rifle (oh how I know it!) but in this case, I'd put some money into making the old rifle right.

I think maybe the poor lad just has a hankering for a new toy. :p I have moved guns around to get my hands on one, as I'm sure most of us has.

I shouldn't imagine that the Savage American Classic will linger long on the shelves at Cabelas. You have to have confidence in your rifle, and that makes the decision easy. Unless you have an emotional attachment to the Mauser, you probably should consider picking up the Savage.

I agree, the rifles that I no longer have had something that I didn't like about them. My newest rifle, the M70 Featherweight 7mm08 was very close to out the door until I found it likes 150 grain BTs, it not liking anything lighter may just seal it's fate one day if'n I get wanting for another.......

BK":hi56yrrb said:
I'd not unload a Mauser for a Savage. I particularly not unload a Mauser that shoots small groups for a Savage. I understand the siren song of a new rifle (oh how I know it!) but in this case, I'd put some money into making the old rifle right.

BK it is painfully obvious that you too suffer from RADD, rifle addiction deficit disorder! :p I'm like you, the way that Mauser shoots, I think a new trigger and safety and a good gunsmith to work on the feeding problems. CL fix the Mauser and save a little and get that Savage as well. Maybe down the road, but just do it :!: :lol:

You only live once. Get something you like. You have 8 months or so to set it up and find a load.

Yep, get something you want! Not liking a rifle isn't a good deal. It will come back to bite you. Either fix the issues on your Mauser or get the Savage and be happy. You'll still be shooting a 250! Scotty

Or use the econo custom method!

Get a Stevens 200 or Savage 10 and screw on a 250 Savage barrel. So many companies make them and you can do it yourself in 15 minutes. Plus you can get other barrels in 22-250 7mm08 308 257 BOB 260 .... You get the idea.
Then you can duracoat the sock for next to nothing to your own looks specs. Here is my son's Savage in maroon and my Rem 700 in Olive.

SV102755.jpg

Looking good POP!

If it was me, and I was attached to the Mauser I would get some work done to it. If you not attached, get one that fits. It makes a big difference in the amount of fun one can have while shooting.

Heck yeah, those look great Fotis.

Jake, I agree, life is too short to hunt with a gun you don't like. Scotty

6mm Remington":34karxte said:
BK":34karxte said:

BK it is painfully obvious that you too suffer from RADD, rifle addiction deficit disorder! :p I'm like you, the way that Mauser shoots, I think a new trigger and safety and a good gunsmith to work on the feeding problems. CL fix the Mauser and save a little and get that Savage as well. Maybe down the road, but just do it :!: :lol:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

CL,

I can't remember if there's anything sentimental about that Mauser, but if there is, don't trade it. As has been said, for a lot less than what you'd end up forking out in trade, you can get a good trigger/safety and have the feed problems addressed. And the idea of grabbing a Stevens or any other used Savage and rebarreling to 250Sav is pretty smart, and pretty cost effective. I routinely see decent Savage rifles for $199-299, in any of a variety of configurations and stocks, and you could add a barrel for relatively little, I believe. If you get a recent rifle, it may well have the nice bluing the Classic has. Then you'd just need to save up for a scope. Oh, and if you just "like" the Savage Classic stock, you can order one from Savage when you save up. They're very reasonable in dealing with aftermarket purchases. I checked on a lefty wood stock from them a while back, and it was a great deal. Just food for thought.

If there's no sentimental attachment to the Mauser, then I'd try selling it here or 24hr Campfire, with the result being less cash out of your pocket than if you try to trade it. I bet you don't get $200 in trade, if you even get that. And that's not a knock against the rifle - it's just the reality of trading a gun. I've seen good rifles traded for $250 in trade value and then show up on the rack for $450-500. That's just the reality of trading, I think.

It's all about what you want, though, man. Merry Christmas!

I would not unload that Mauser !! I might buy the new rifle (or 2) and save making your Mauser "right" until later but a Mauser '98 that shoots that good is a thing of beauty in it's own right

Is that "DuraCoat" a DIY job or do you have to send it out ?

Keep the Mauser and get it to a smith.

As for the new rifle,keep your eyes peeled and find a used Savage for a donor action or a Stevens 200.
I see the Stevens 200s in 7-08 on sale for $179.00 new here in N. Tx from time to time.....

There is no way I'd dump a Mauser for a Savage. you can get a Timney trigger with saftey for under $100. I have to get one for an FN .270 I've had for years. The trigger is great but the safety sucks big time. Never know when it will slip off safe. I'm not too sure what it will take to fix the feeding as it's the action rails and magazine length that control most of that. what you might do is make up a magazine full of dummy rounds and work them slowly though the action. You might be able to spot where the hang up occurs and possibly fix it yourself, or if you feel it's above your skill level, be able to show a competent gunsmith where the problem lies in the feed cycle.
But I'm one who suffers not only from RADD but MADD. (Mauser Addiction Deficit Disorder) There is no cure. 8)
Paul B.

Well, so far the vote is one ahead for sell the Mauser and get the savage. However, the votes for the Mauser are convincing and the sentimental attachment is more than significant. I shot my big Wyoming goat with that rifle, and as Ive noted elsewhere, anything short of an Elk I'd pick the old Mauser up and not think twice. I have put a lot of time and close to 700 in the ole mauser if you count the scope. If money were not the issue I'd have both. So I guess I'll keep the old 250. I just need you guys to remind me once in a while..... I have had "sellers remorse" and worse yet "buyers remorse". You saved her again. :lol: Thanks guys! What I really need is to get out and shoot it again. That will likely cure most of what ails me (except maybe the need for a new toy. CL

Back