Talley Lt. Wt Bases/Rings - FYI

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
This is just a heads up on a specific issue with the lite weight Talley base/ring system for a short action Savage (mod 11 with round rear) and using a short scope such as the 2.5-8x36 VX-3. The issue I had tonight is the scope doesn't clear the rear edge of the rear base, and you can't turn it around as with this scope the baae/ring system can only be mounted one way.
I have a set of Burris dual dove-tail and rings on the way that'll hopefully remedy this so I can go shoot my new 308.

You shouldn't have this problem with slightly longer scope.

So, I have this Talley base/ring system for sale. $40 shipped.

Talley's no longer for sale. The Burris dual dove tails didn't work at all. The Burris bases allowed for to much space between the rings. The scope wouldn't even sit in them. So, out came the file and I custom fitted the aluminum Talley rear base to make it work.

A Luey windage adjustable rear base and a set of extension rings will allow you to mount a short scope. It was the only way I could get a bushnell trophy on a Stevens mod. 200 w/ Luey hardware. that rear base actually moves the rear ring too far forward for my tastes but I would think the combo would work for a short scope. CL

Probably so CL, but as I have already bought 2 sets of bases and rings for this rifle, a third set is out of the question. Filing down the Talley base worked as the scope is now mounted and I plan on sighting it in tomorrow.

On the bright side, if I buy another Savage rifle, I have a set of matte bases and matte 1" low rings for it.

Back