Tapped the trigger

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
I started chewing tobacco when I was 14; that’s what you did growing up in a ranching/logging community. That was fifty years ago.
Last year I quit. Started putting the money I spent every day on chew in a jar. Made through last summer in Alaska, this fall hunting, with out relapsing. Took 18 months to save the money, picked it up yesterday;
Christianson Arms precision rifle;
6.5 Creedmoor
Leupold VX3iLRP 6.5-20x50; Mils Front FocalIMG_3493.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! on both a fine rifle and giving up the tobacco! Not an easy thing to do. I gave it up cold turkey 2 years ago and never thought about putting the cash toward something...Can I retroactively calculate the amount I saved and go spend it now? LOL

Yes, retroactive is fine. I put 5 bucks in my jar this morning.

Beautiful setup ... very nice!

Curious what's the weight of your complete setup?

You've done well, all the way 'round. I quite smoking immediately before medical school. I had smoked from eight years of age and dipped snuff from about fourteen. My decision was made when I visited a friend in the Wichita VA who was dying of lung cancer. During this same time, my landlord was dying of emphysema. I had a severe talk with myself, convincing myself that I was smarter than that. So, I began smoking a pipe. Burned out two bowls in short order, not understanding that one wasn't supposed to get them hot enough to burn the hand. So, I switched to cigars. Inhaled every puff, until I realised that smoke is smoke and contains the same chemicals. Long story short, I've been nicotine-free for about fifty years. I thought it was criminal when cigarettes were priced at fifty cents a pack! I'm sure that my decision prolonged my life and it has allowed me to have a bit of extra money, which mostly went to paying for my family to survive. Can't say it was a wrong choice. Now rifles, well, that's another story. And that is a right handsome rifle you picked up!

i got ya beat Mike. I started when I was six, quit in 1975 for good. At the time I quit i was doing three packs of cigarets a day a couple of cigars and usually a few from a pipe. Inhaled on every last one of them. Tried to quit several times and failed. I was hooked bad. One day back in early 1975 a group of Seventh Day Adventists came to town and held a quit smoking class or seminar, whatever you want to call it. Started the thing off with a prayer and went to teaching. At the end of the session another prayer. On the way out the door they had us throw our smokes into a garbage can along with the matches and lighters. I kept my lighter as it was given to me the day I left Korea and engraved. IIRC, the class lasted for 5 days The happy note was I hadn't smoke a cigaret the whole time. The sad note was my hunting partner's dad who had lung cancer already came to try and quit. He failed and passed about 6 months later.
About three months later I bummed a smoke off one of my co-workers more to see if I was really done with them or not. It only took two drags and I knew I was done with them permanently. Haven't smoked one since. It's been 45 years so I gues I finally did break the habit. (y)
Paul B.

Congratulations on both quitting tobacco and purchasing a very nice rifle.

I did a similar thing a few years ago. I found I rifle I really wanted but didn't want to spend the cash I had on hand. I stopped smoking for a few days and found I could manage with the cigarettes. Then I went to the bank and got a personnel loan (zero or almost zero interest) for the amount of the rifle and a scope. Then, I bought the rifle. Having the loan payment to make every month kept me from back sliding with the smoking. By the time the loan was paid off, I didn't have much of an urge to smoke anymore.

Again, congratulations!

Dan

Maybe instead of the silly stop smoking/chewing things offered by the CDC they could offer a nice rifle or shotgun.

I never smoked. When I was four, my grandpa let me smoke one of his quirlys and it made me so sick I though I was gonna die. After that I never had any desire to smoke. I'm pretty sure my grandpa thought he was gonna die when mom lit into him.

Back