Ovis Outfitters - grizzly bear hunt - evaluation

I have eaten grizzly once...... It was an early fall bear that must have eaten a rotten chinook along the way :sick: I wouldn't hesitate eating grizzly again if I could be sure it wasn't into rotten fish recently. A berry bear like yours would be excellent to eat I'm sure. 14 years is pretty impressive for age, I would imagine those far northern bears have a tough life.

PS. there still aren't any pictures on this thread ;)

David,
Very nice write up. They sound like a top notch outfit. Sorry I missed this when you had posted it.
Congratulations again on your bear!

JD338

Well it pays to stay after them. What is the age span of a grizzly?

In 25 years of guiding grizzly bear hunters my guide Mike Lettis told me that I was the ONLY person who had requested a desire to have grizzly bear steak in spike camp. No-one else had ever asked!! I took a backstrap off of my grizzly bear and we hung it up on a willow bush near our tent for a couple days to let it cool and age. We then sliced it into steaks, rolled it in flour, and fried it up in a cast iron pan with salt and pepper sprinkled on it. It was delicious and both Mike and I loved the meat. We had mashed garlic potatoes to go with it and it was. meal fit for a king. They were eating Dall Sheep steaks back at basecamp that night I found out later, but I think our meal was every bit as good as theirs.
Boy, it sounds like a heckuva good meal! I believe I'd like to try some of that someday!

I ate most of my grizzly. It was good.
I had asked for the rear quarters to be made into hams as I had heard that these are supposed to be very good...but never did get them back...was disappointed to say the least.

I ate most of my grizzly. It was good.
I had asked for the rear quarters to be made into hams as I had heard that these are supposed to be very good...but never did get them back...was disappointed to say the least.
I'm with you!

Back