2024 Spring Brown Bear Hunt Report

You should know that the further north the larger the body size of animals, bears are bigger, moose are bigger, elk are bigger, etc,. A small Idaho bear is OK as it helps keep the elk and deer population above water. They did a study in the late 70's around Salmon, ID on the effects bears had on the elk population. They removed all the bears they could and the elk population tripled in short order. They let the bears repopulate and the elk population decreased to what it was before they shot all the bears. That tells you the effects bears have on the fawns and calves. Unfortunately we have wolves on top of that now.

I was just talking to a buddy today and he told me some friends of his saw 16 bears this weekend just by spotting. That is a lot of bears. I think more people should come shoot them to help our deer and elk herds. I'll probably drag the kids up this week to see if we can put a dent in the population. I might even put a bait up. We still have a month or so of season left and they will start rutting anytime now.

Back