2024 Spring Brown Bear Hunt Report

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
Guys, although I did not post alot about getting ready for this trip I did have a few posts asking about outfitters and load/caliber suggestions over the past 2 years. I just came back from my long awaited hunt so decided to post a report for those who might be interested.

I hunted with H&H Alaskan Outfitters out of Soldatna, Justin Horton and guide James Eicher. We flew to the Ursus Bay area near Augustine Island and Lake Illiamna via float plane for a 10 day tented camp hunt. This is the first time I have done this type of hunt and as a 63 year old I was a little concerned. I walked daily with a 25 lb pack for 5 miles to get in shape and considered myself in fairly good shape. However, in Louisiana we dont have any mountains to climb and very few hills. We were hunting in valleys between mountains and had to do some steep (in my mind) climbing to get to our daily observation point. I was able to get there daily but really had to take my time getting there to ensure my footing and not taking a tumble. I was able to do that.

The rifle I brought was an Interarms Whitworth Mauser in 375 H&H with a 20" barrel, synthetic stock and Cera coated. Good choice on the rifle. We had a considerable amount of rain and I had minimal rusting not so much on the rifle but on things like the mounts but kept on top of it with a little oil and was manageable. The load I settled on was a 270 gr Barnes LRX with H4350 at 2630 fps. Load performed excellently when I needed it.

We stayed in tented camps the entire time. Had 4 days of rain during the 10 day hunt where we could not leave the tent, rain as well as 50 mph winds. Saw bears every day but mostly sows with cubs. Saw 3 boars total. One was a 9 ft plus bear going over a mountain to the next valley but never saw him again. Next saw a 7 ft young boar on the beach 100 yds from camp but opted to pass. Finally on the 7th day I got a chance at an 8 ft plus boar, made a stalk to within 220 yards and sealed the deal. First shot spined him and it was academic after that. Shot a little higher than I intended but after all shooting off sticks is not like shooting off the bench even though I spent a lot of time practicing off sticks.

Anyway, killed a nice 8ft 2in bear which I am very happy with. Guides and outfitter did a great job and everything unfolded almost exactly as described. However, I will say the hunt and conditions were about as rough as I ever want to do. I am glad I did it while I could. never went 10 days without a shower and shave before this. But I was told that ahead of time so I was good with it.

Ill be happy to answer any questions from anyone interested and contemplating a hunt such as this one.

Regards, JimbeauxIMG_0150.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 24
Awesome hunt Jim, congratulations on a beautiful bear.

JD338

Delighted that you made the hunt and that you connected! Congratulations on a fine bruin and on creating some wonderful memories. Even the rain and wind are great memories as you overcame the adversities and succeeded in your goal!

Great story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Congratulations on a well-earned bear. Great story one I'm sure you will treasure from now on. Dan.

Jim,
What's the story about the empty 375 cases?
We want all the details so we can experience the hunt. 😎

JD338

You guys dont miss a trick! Here is the story. As I said earlier, I spined the bear on the first shot and it was academic after that. But since it is a dangerous animal, my guide kept telling me to shoot as long as it was moving. So on the second shot when the bear picked up his front half I spined him again (220 yards). Now he can no longer pick up his front half but still moving his head. Shot him again. What we did not know at this time was he had fallen in a hole and only had his head, shoulder and hump to shoot at. Vitals were totally protected. Moved up to 100 yards. Head still moving, guide said shoot again. Moved up to 50 yards, bear moving his ears, Guide said shoot his again. Moved up to 20 yards and absolutely finished the deal. No more movement of any kind. My taxidermist will have a bunch of holes to patch up!! Thats the whole story!

My grizzly in 1998 fell in a depression too!
We were mountain goat hunting and surprised the bear at 20 yards. He ran to 40, then turned and slowly came back towards us.
First frontal shot was in the spine (shoulder hump) at 8 yards, as his head was down in front of his vitals.
A moment later he picked up his head and was biting his shoulder, but it was obvious he could only move his head and neck.
I went around to the side and shot into his vitals through the grass, not knowing he was in a depression and his vitals were protected. (Bullet went into the hard ground)
A few moments later, he picked up his head and glared at me, then lowered his head back to the ground.
I cranked up my scope and could see his eyes still locked on me and glaring at me.
I put the last shot between his eyes to finish the deal. I did not want to shoot him in the head as I really wanted the skull...but I wasn't about to play any games and put me and my hunting partner in more peril, so I sacrificed the skull.
A 210 gr Nosler Partition from a 338 Win Mag does not leave much left of a skull when used at 8 yards, entering between the eyes and exiting the back of the skull!

congrats on the hunt . next wilderness hunt you do , take a pack of baby wipes . it's like bringing a shower along .

Back