Tell Me Why

Glad you grabbed it TD.

April, a P64 H&H is a heckuva good rifle. I just went with the H&H Improved on a P64...

I think Guy, David and myself are the last hold outs on 6X scopes. I hold on just cause I keep killing stuff with em but man are they nice on killing rifles for up to medium range. It just looks right on the P64’s as well.

Roger, I think you're going to like your new rifle. I've had several 300 Win Mags over the years: Ruger 77, Ruger Number One, Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, and a Savage as well. :) Liked them and the cartridge.

These days my token 30 cal magnum is a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM, and I like it too, though I don't use it much. It's accurate, reliable and powerful. What's not to like?

Enjoy the new rifle!

Regards, Guy

Scotty's right on my appreciation for the 6x scope as an all-around hunting scope.

I've got one on my 25-06, and another on my 30-06, the two rifles I do most of my hunting with. Closest kill was about 20 yards as I recall, and farthest was nearly a quarter mile. The 6x's do fine for me.

Guy

Scotty & Guy thanks for the comments.
Me too ( pun intended ) like the straight 6X but found I like the 1.5-5X20 a little better because I can carry it on 1.5X and jump shoot deer in eastern farm thickets and have the 5x for extended ranges. I've killed very few deer with it set above 1.5X and use it like you would open sights.
My Sixes are on a .22 rifle and TC 222 Barrel.

SJB358":1g381orw said:
Glad you grabbed it TD.

April, a P64 H&H is a heckuva good rifle. I just went with the H&H Improved on a P64...

Hoo, boy, some burn, Scotty. :mrgreen:

Thanks Mike! It definitely needs some time. I got it awhile back for the Mashburn build cause it was a H&H rechambered to 300 Wby sometime long ago and the stock was shortened. Well, I shot it and decided against it so it sat until I could find a decent stock for it. Looking forward to seeing if it’ll make the lineup. I kinda like the 300 Wby.

Scotty, questions

from memory and at my age relying in my memory is dangerous. The 300 H & H improved is ballistically similar to the 300 weatherby ??? and after it is A.I., d, does one lose that smooth as glass feeding and ejection one gets with a H & H ? We have a couple of 300 and 375 H & H's that in my humble opinion were all I ever needed, even in Africa. My granddaughter is working her way up to using them ( is at the 7mm-08 now ). Also a little off topic--how is your son liking the Marine's ?

It feeds very well being a 300 Weatherby April. The H&H is slick but a well tuned P64 is pretty slick with most any decently shaped cartridge. My Mashburn runs like its on rails. If it was an H&H to start with I doubt I would’ve changed it but since I already load for my sons Weatherby it wasn’t much load for this one.

He seems to be enjoying it so far. Creeping up on his 1st year already. Out in Communications school right now. Doing what young Marines do, train, PT, and stay outta NCO’s and SNCO’s line of sight!

SJB358":1ilj591i said:
Thanks Mike! It definitely needs some time. I got it awhile back for the Mashburn build cause it was a H&H rechambered to 300 Wby sometime long ago and the stock was shortened. Well, I shot it and decided against it so it sat until I could find a decent stock for it. Looking forward to seeing if it’ll make the lineup. I kinda like the 300 Wby.
Well one thing is for sure and that is it won't get chambered to a 300Bee even though it will have all the components installed in it to accommodate the Bee.
300 Bee is not my favorite caliber.

thats great Scotty on both counts, rifle and son--congratulations to you and your wife ( I remember your wife when she was jokingly giving us a hard time on a different forum )

Rodger, good luck on your project. I am a "Bee" fan--not so much the 300, but the 270 and 340 for sure.

Glad you will have what you want when it is all finished. good luck

Very nice, Rodger. I have an early 70's M70 push feed and it is a great rifle.

Cool rifle, Scotty. Congrats to your son, your wife and you, good job.

AFG270":1qp8932j said:
Very nice, Rodger. I have an early 70's M70 push feed and it is a great rifle.

Cool rifle, Scotty. Congrats to your son, your wife and you, good job.
Thanks,
I do like my push feeds just wish I had found out about them when I was younger.

Scotty put a bug in my ear and has me extending the mag box so I can load them long to get the bullet out of the powder and not compress the loads, we will see how it works.

Not my idea to be honest. Folks have been doing it since the beginning of the 300 Win. Having a little extra length helps give you some flexibility in adjusting seating depth. Plenty of room in that case for powder.

Case in Scotty’s point, the Hornady guys designed the 6.5 Creedmoor to be seated protruding so the 140gn bullet they wanted to use would not encroach the case volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back