Temp vs powder, primers & loaded ammo

CamoWildcat

Beginner
Mar 20, 2006
I live in Arizona and have been storing powder, primers, and loaded ammunition in my garage where I do my reloading. It will soon be 100 + degrees. I think I should move powder and loaded ammo inside the air conditioned house. I don't think primers will be bothered by the heat.
OPINIONS?

As a general rule of thumb, higher temps mean chemical and physical reactions are
sped up. I couldn't tell you if it is safe, but deteriation of the powder etc. will happen
much quicker as temps climb.

I guess you don't have to worry about humidity out there, but it must get to well over 100 in your garage when you get those scorcher summer temps outside. I would move all your equipment inside, and reload in comfort.

Long

Long,
Yes, its getting over 100 in the garage already. You're correct, no humidity. I've thought about moving the whole operation inside, but the wife isn't too keen on those metal shavings from trimming, chamfering, and deburring getting in the carpet.
I just installed a ceiling fan in the garage, so morning and evening temps aren't too bad - yet.

From the Hodgdon web site.

Q. What are the correct storage conditions for my powder?

A. Basically, if you are comfortable in the environment, your powder will be fine. You should protect powder from extended periods of storage in extreme heat or high humidity as the shelf life will be reduced. If you must store powder in a garage or outbuilding which is not temperature controlled, place the powder at floor level.

http://www.hodgdon.com/faq/index.php

Back