Temperature Sensitivity Testing

Most interesting. Their results did verify what I've observed. My practise is to verify my load near the temperature I intend to hunt. I've never had a problem with accuracy and/or velocity when I hunted. It is always good to gain assurance from controlled experiments.

Guy , that's a good article , thanks for posting . I've done some cold weather testing in the actual conditions . I was surprised at what I found .

That is a great article, enjoyed reading it. I like to verify my final charges during load developments by reading the charges / 3 round groups on paper where it shows a flat horizontal plane within a group of powder weights due to some temp swings on certain temperature sensitive powders.
I like to stick with temp stable powders.

Most of my shooting is done between 20*- 80*. Sometimes temps during the hunting season do go lower , but mostly 20’s to low 30’s. Very seldom I shoot above 80* , too long to cool barrels down. I do must load work up spring and fall (50*-60*) for hunting loads. That puts me + or - 30* for most of my shooting conditions. The only powder I can remember giving me grief was US869. I developed a load is summer (hot outside) and for the hunting season I lost 100 fps and a noticeable POI shift.

I forgot to add, I need to keep an eye on my 300 Win Mag velocities because on the recent charges I made to test a 3 round group with RL-22 recorded 3115 fps at 65 degrees last week. I had remembered the velocity was 3165 fps around there when I shot it 2 years ago, and it was hot that time.

Back