Testing Bullets..........

Guy Miner":3clwelt7 said:
Am having a little trouble recovering heavy hard cast bullets from stuff like the .45/70 and .500 S&W... I can't seem to line up enough milk jugs! :grin:

Guy,

You need to drink more milk. :wink: :grin:

JD338

gel, milk jugs, whatever, the real test is in actual hunting conditions. i was on an oryx hunt here in nm and saw my buddy shoot a bull, broadsided at 175 yards. he shot it a little high n , for an ideal oryx shot which is low n thru both shoulders ,a little far back. a 225 gr. .338 nosler Partition which we handloaded, went in between ribs, between ribs on the opposite side n the skin stopped it, breaking a rib due to the stretching. i cut it up on my kitchen table and it never touched bone. the bull went about 300 yds and the double lung shot did it in. these critters are tough!! i have seen him shoot several bull elk with that same load and have never recovered a bullet. my point, if there is one, use nosler bullets in an appropriate weight that your rifle likes and save your jugs for water on your hunt. on my oryx hunt i shot an adolescent bull thru both shoulders with a 180 gr. nosler Partition from a 300 win mag. pass-thru. didnt knock it down n he weighed about 300 lbs. btw i shot a 3 shot group that measured .145 at 110 yds . long live nosler partitions.

Pistol35743":31gpcqol said:
gel, milk jugs, whatever, the real test is in actual hunting conditions. i was on an oryx hunt here in nm and saw my buddy shoot a bull, broadsided at 175 yards. he shot it a little high n , for an ideal oryx shot which is low n thru both shoulders ,a little far back. a 225 gr. .338 nosler Partition which we handloaded, went in between ribs, between ribs on the opposite side n the skin stopped it, breaking a rib due to the stretching. i cut it up on my kitchen table and it never touched bone. the bull went about 300 yds and the double lung shot did it in. these critters are tough!! i have seen him shoot several bull elk with that same load and have never recovered a bullet. my point, if there is one, use nosler bullets in an appropriate weight that your rifle likes and save your jugs for water on your hunt. on my oryx hunt i shot an adolescent bull thru both shoulders with a 180 gr. nosler Partition from a 300 win mag. pass-thru. didnt knock it down n he weighed about 300 lbs. btw i shot a 3 shot group that measured .145 at 110 yds . long live nosler partitions.

This test isnt about different weights, its a ballistics comparasion between different brands and styles of bullets.

How did you ever do with your test Smitty. Sounds like it would have been an interesting one! Scotty

Back