Texas Ridge Fire

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know how many others are dealing with wild fires but I've got a big one right across the canyon. Been watching it burn for three days now. We've cut some fire breaks in with a dozer thru mine and neighbors property. I've been cutting the weeds and brush back but already have a good rock barrier around the house and shop.

A few PICs:
Tex Ridge Fire 01 sm.jpg
Tex Ridge Fire 02.jpg

Tex Ridge Fire 03 sm.jpg

Pretty sad that some neighbors have lost everything. I'm ok and with favorable winds so far I should come out of this with everything intact.
I've watched all types of aircraft fighting the fire. Too bad but interesting.
Here's hoping

There was afire in the Texas Panhandle that caused me to lose farm equipment and farm land including center pivot damage back in March. Hopefully it will get extinguished soon!

Last edited:
We have a couple of big ones in Eastern Oregon, the biggest is 70,000 acres now and as of yesterday had taken 10 homes. That one is quite a way to the west of us. Another large one to the west of us is pretty good size also. To the south there are fires from Burns to Bend, not one fire but a number spread out over 200 miles. We’ve been getting a lot of smoke.

We have a couple of big ones in Eastern Oregon, the biggest is 70,000 acres now and as of yesterday had taken 10 homes. That one is quite a way to the west of us. Another large one to the west of us is pretty good size also. To the south there are fires from Burns to Bend, not one fire but a number spread out over 200 miles. We’ve been getting a lot of smoke.
Stay safe and your neighbors too!

As Salmonchaser said, we have a few in Eastern Oregon. To the west is the Lonerock fire which has Spray at a Level 2 evac. To the North there are 3 fires, 395 is closed from Long Creek to I-84. To the East is the Cow Valley fire, its nearly 150k acres. To the South we have the Falls fire which is 70k. We are literally surrounded. God help us.

Falls fire was just updated to 110k acres. New fire at pilot Rock, 20 miles south of Pendleton, 20 k acres and growing fast, level three gonow evacuation.
Another new fire just north of Pendleton near Weston Mountain, be ready evacuating there.
17 large fires according to the website. The last two aren't even listed!
Currently 95 degrees with a light breeze.

I work for a large fire dept. in Utah. The department has activated and sent multiple crews to assist other states with their emergencies. I hope you all see some relief soon!

We have lots acres in the west burning. In the years past just had to deal with the smoke at home. Weather is not helping, getting into the 110+ degF this weekend.

My wife came home today. She has been a wreck at our daughter’s place. She is better at home now but still pretty stressed. She is seeing air support for the first time today. Twin rotors with water bags. We (neighbors) still have missing cattle in the canyon. My guess is they are east and up where there is more grass and water. Further away from active fire.

Hope recovery goes smoothly for you. We have just over 100 active fires in Oregon. Thankfully we have help on the way from most of the western states as well as Florida and Oklahoma. The forecast is for dry lightning in some parts of the state tonight.

Back