Thanksgiving Elk

Brian, you're going to love this trip; and, yeah, Scotty is probably nutty. He'll outgrow it someday.

Russ, thanks. I'm certain there will be some fine dining in store.

Gene, I'm more grateful than I could ever say that I've been permitted to live here and see this beautiful country. And, think! People actually pay me to live here!

DrMike,
Great story and congratulations! You inspired me to get back out there Thursday for 3 days' worth of cow chasing. We got about a 14" snow in my cabin area, and there was enough pressure at lower elevations some of them should have moved in. Most years there are a couple dozen residents, but not this year. My son offered to join me and maybe do some cooking or pot wallopin', so we'll have some good shared time regardless.

Scotty, best wishes for success for you and Brian! I've been on this forum long enough that these trips and successes are getting personal :grin: I'm anxious to know what everyone is doing, and click on this "Hunting" portion of the forum way too often.

EE2

elkeater2":2wpr8wpm said:
DrMike,
Great story and congratulations! You inspired me to get back out there Thursday for 3 days' worth of cow chasing. We got about a 14" snow in my cabin area, and there was enough pressure at lower elevations some of them should have moved in. Most years there are a couple dozen residents, but not this year. My son offered to join me and maybe do some cooking or pot wallopin', so we'll have some good shared time regardless.

Scotty, best wishes for success for you and Brian! I've been on this forum long enough that these trips and successes are getting personal :grin: I'm anxious to know what everyone is doing, and click on this "Hunting" portion of the forum way too often.

EE2

Thanks EE2! Looking forward to updating you all with our pictures and stories! I hope Brian is knee deep in elk within about 2 weeks.. Scotty

Scotty, I really hope that Brian gets the smell of ripe elk on his hands. It is an addictive substance that we can never quite get out of our system.

CC, I appreciate the kind words. I'm pulling for each of you fellows to tag out this fall.

EE2, I really hope you are able to get back out. It is cool here, but no snow yet. A little snow would help, but the cooler weather is helpful, for sure. It will be good to have some time with your son tracking elk and enjoying one another's company around the fire each evening.

Mike, I can't wait to see moose and the Whelen together buddy! Hoping you get it up and running shortly! Scotty

Mike-
That is a beautiful Bull! Sounds like a very nice "relaxing" afternoon. Id say "some guys have all the luck", but you definately played your cards well. Right place, right time. Well done and congrats! CL

Thanks, CL. It is a good area to find game, so it was a matter of being there at the right time. God was gracious.

Dr. Mike thanks for the great hunt and photos, about time you shot something. :lol: Good luck on getting a moose and deer, hope you can test a couple of those other calibers out. What a beautiful elk.

Corey

Late to the party here Mike, but congrats on a nice bull to start the season(s) out. I'm looking forward to seeing the two crazy Marines at my house on their way out to Oregon soon to get their elk hunt started.

Joel, it's sure to be a wild time with Scotty and Brian there.

Excellent Mike and thank you for the photos as well.
We leave Friday night for our early season cow elk.

Blessings,
Dan

That is a wonderful bull, DrMike, a really nice looking 5x5 and a terrific eating sized bull as well. He should be a great size to fill up a large freezer with terrific meat that will not be too gamy tasting and tender. Congratulations on your success. I had a strong feeling that this weekend was it (Thanksgiving Day is perfect!). It is always nice to have friends there to help when shooting an elk as well.

The .270 WSM with the 130 E-Tip did the job nicely. I have a friend who swears by the .270 Weatherby as an elk rifle with 150 Partitions and has been using it for over 40 years.

Praying for success, Dan. Charlie, one of the best parts of hunting is the camaraderie. There are few things in life so satisfying as time shared with good friends in the field.

Just one addition to this thread, the elk tastes fine. I cut and wrapped the elk this afternoon. Afterwards, my wife and I made up boxes for my daughter and a single mom in the church. We made hamburgers this evening. My wife did comment that the burger was assuredly dense. It was, however, tasty. Now, on to other game.

Back