The 280AI is finally going for her first trip to the range.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I moved in Dec. and had to remodel portions of the new house. The 280AI was finished in Jan. but had to languish in the safe due the needs of the many vs. the few(one). The house now has all new Wursbo piping, new water service, new master bath, new electric panel, seven rooms of wallpaper stripped, retextured and painted. Oh, and all new carpet but I didn't do that- I need my knees for hunting season :). I still don't have my man cave/reloading bench set up but I have a temp. bench set up so I could prep for sage rats and I decided to leave this up until the new bench is completed.
I've loaded some barrel break in/forming loads and then I put together the first test loads. Nosler brass, Fed 210M primers,150 & 168gr LRABs with RL22 and 7828. Currently I've set them up .020 off the lands and the 150s have a OAL of 3.410. The 168s are at 3.430. These COALs workout pretty well with the beginning of the bearing surface seated at the base of the neck.
My question to the guys that have already run the LRABs - Am I starting to close to the lands? I've read some posts that have stated that they like a lot of jump. I now live an hour away from where I can shoot. This first trip will be to break in the 280AI and hopefully find a charge weight that the gun likes. I'll also be breaking in a barrel and fire forming brass for a 22-250AI I put together this winter.
Thanks,
Scott

Good luck on the load development, Scott. I'm certain you'll find a good load in no time.

Congratulations on all the honey-do work you accomplished. Sure sounds like time to finally play with that .280AI. I'm keeping an eye out on your load work and some of the other folks here so when mine is done I'll have some ideas on what to try in mine!! :)

Scott,

You have been busy! You are going to have to make a couple trips to the range. Shoot what you have loaded and these how she shoots. WE hill help you from there.
Good luck buddy!

JD338

Good luck Scott. I've had better luck around .075-.1 from the rifling with them but that's just me.

Can't wait to see what it does. Sounds like it should be fun!

I've made a habit of kissing first then working my way back from there, assuming they'll cycle thru the mag.

In my experience the problem w/ starting some distance away is then I can't tell what direction to go if it doesn't work. Again, assuming a kiss will cycle. If a kiss won't cycle I'll start as close as I can get w/ in mag constraints & work my way back.

YMMV

MM- how'd the range session turn out? I am interested to hear, as I am working up loads for my own 280 AI!!

Back