The 338 Delivers at the Memorial Day 1K shoot

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
The 338 Lapua Ackley shines today, placing me 3rd overall with a score of 190 -7X's. There's 2 points separating 1st and 3rd place. There are over 60 shooters on 6 relays. This is only my 2nd time competing and the condition at the range was less than ideal, with the temperature hovering over 90 degrees and the mirages are at a boil. The wind was even worst, gusting between 3 to 7 and sometimes 10. Worst, it keep shifting. It drives everyone nuts.

Here's some picture of the match:

The target
MemorialDayshoot010.jpg

It's 1K at the base of the hill
MemorialDayshoot012.jpg

MemorialDayshoot005.jpg

MemorialDayshoot008.jpg

Here's the official scores are being tallied
MemorialDayshoot013.jpg

MemorialDayshoot016.jpg

MemorialDayshoot017.jpg

MemorialDayshoot015.jpg

Congratulations! That is some great shooting. The pictures make it seem as though we are there with you. You done good.

Congratulations! That's some good shooting. Real good shooting!

Quite a few competitions I've participated in wouldn't allow something as big as the .338 Lapua. Glad you were able to use the big beast!

Regards, Guy

DF

Congratulations on some great shooting!Heat, wind, and mirage are some pretty tough elements to shoot in.
Nicely done!

Were you shooting the 300 gr SMK? What kind of mv are you getting with your 338 Lapua AI?

JD338

Excellent shooting DF. Looks like a very nice range and a group. I knew you could do it.:grin: :grin:

Guy Miner":24o0lbu8 said:
Congratulations! That's some good shooting. Real good shooting!

Quite a few competitions I've participated in wouldn't allow something as big as the .338 Lapua. Glad you were able to use the big beast!

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy. It was a blast.

Congratulations on some great shooting!Heat, wind, and mirage are some pretty tough elements to shoot in.
Nicely done!

Were you shooting the 300 gr SMK? What kind of mv are you getting with your 338 Lapua AI?

Yes Jim, I was shooting the 300 SMK. I'm not pushing it hard enough,,, around 2925 fps. It would take 22.75 MOA to 1K, from my 110 yards zero. The condition yesterday was terrible. I was so worried that I might cooked the barrel. I only took a total of 4 sighter to keep the barrel cool. Two buddies was shooting 7 Weatherby and 7 RUM. Their barrel was probably toast.

I was more surprised that I took 3rd. I was not ready for this match. I was so busy that I never had a chance to practice either. I had 50 rounds of newly prepped brass that I'm supposed to take but never found time to reload. So I went to the match with a mixed bag of loads, 49 in all, half of it was reserved for hunting. I needed a minimum of at least 30 for both sighter and the match. I ended up shooting the 1st and 2nd group with my hunting loads and the 3rd and 4th with my practice loads. You can see on the 3rd group, I was high right at 8 on my first shot, I readjusted and shoot the remainder of the group. The 4th and last group would have been good if not for the fact that I did not anticipate the wind shift on my first shot. My dope was at full at value for a 5 MPH at 9 oclock when it shifted to zero value. Using the TMR as a yard stick, ( I love this reticle) I readjust my aim and fire 4 succesive rapid shot , putting 3 on the X. If I didn't change loads halfway, I probably could have won this match. oh well, there's always next time :wink:

Powerstroke":134tbbkp said:
DF -

Nicely Done !! How's the shoulder after a day at the range with the LAI ?

Congrats.

I'm nursing a sore one right now. Also the skin on my shoulder showed a little clotting. Looks like a rash.

Outstanding shooting. Pictures were great and it looks like conditions were miserable. To hot for my old bones. Hope you are keeping those targets they have valuable information on them!

Elkman":3fnc4agf said:
Outstanding shooting. Pictures were great and it looks like conditions were miserable. To hot for my old bones. Hope you are keeping those targets they have valuable information on them!

You bet! I even recorded the conditions for future reference.

Scott Spencer":2v7721l8 said:
Outstanding, Rommel!! I could not imagine shooting that distance but I bet it is truely something special!

1K shooting is truely unique. Talking about adrenalin rush. It's you against the elements, and you know they're unforgiving. Any little mistake will be magnified and you are going to pay for it. You need to be a discipline shooter; I'm learning that right now and I still have a long way to go. Just go out there and have fun. That's the only advice I can give.

Way to go Uncle DF!! Way to go! But where is the hero pix with you, your rifle and awards! Glad you had a good time!!!

Rod

nodak7mm":3ohwcr6b said:
Way to go Uncle DF!! Way to go! But where is the hero pix with you, your rifle and awards! Glad you had a good time!!!

Rod

Rod, It was so late by the time the match concluded. Actually, some shooter left and didn't even bother to wait for the result. My reward for placing third, besides the handshakes and the certificate was a box of Remington 12 gauge Buckshot :( . The first place finisher got a box of Sierra Match King. But who cares about the rewards... right!

Back