THE 338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM - AN AMERICAN CLASSIC

That sounds like a good track record. I imagine the recoil from a BAR with a BOSS has to be pretty light. Scotty

Hunting is a sport where the love of the animal is to take it as fast and
painless as possible. So if you flinch with recoil of a 338 Win mag or any
large caliber you will only wound an animal. You might as well stay home
and watch football. Mr_Wapiti :!:

There is alot of truth to that. I have a BOSS on my M70 338 and it makes it a real pussycat to shoot. I love it. Scotty

I shot my friends M70 338 WM with the BOSS, recoil was light but it was very loud! That is the very reason I do not like the brakes. I will take the recoil instead.

JD338

JD338":2b1zy2ac said:
I shot my friends M70 338 WM with the BOSS, recoil was light but it was very loud! That is the very reason I do not like the brakes. I will take the recoil instead.

JD338

Yes, I will take the recoil

The first time I shot a 338 WM was in a M700 Classic. I didn't think the recoil was any different than my M700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Just me I guess.......

I will say that 24 rounds of 338 RUM with 250 gr PT's at 3024 fps off the bench does get to ya.......

JD338

JD338":3giszco2 said:
The first time I shot a 338 WM was in a M700 Classic. I didn't think the recoil was any different than my M700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Just me I guess.......

I will say that 24 rounds of 338 RUM with 250 gr PT's at 3024 fps off the bench does get to ya.......

JD338

Yeah, shooting that RUM sure is not a kitty cat more like a tiger :)

nice article

Used a 338 Win for many years now!

Win 70

my load

Reloader 19 at 78.0
225gr AccuBond
Fed 215GM primers
WW barss

2950 FPS load.......

I have a similar load using 76gr of RL19 and the 225gr Hornady SST and it runs at 2890 and is ACCURATE. I can't wait to hunt with the mighty 338 again, it is one of my favorites and hopefully since it is now paired up with the 250gr PT's it will really sing. Scotty

I use to use the 250gr Part but trajectory suffered........maybe the new 250gr AccuBond with the better BC would do better.

Yeah, I guess it might suffer a little. I am not a super long range shooter, so 400 yards is about as far as I can practice with my rifles at, so that is about my limit for the most part. Plus with the B&C reticle, I should be able to get it worked out to shoot to 500 yards without too much trouble if I can find a range to stretch it! Scotty

I have the leupold BC on my 338 win also..........harvested my moose this year at 475 yards...........hit alittle low because my lazer must have hit something between us it read 463 so I used the 400 yard and aimed alittle high.......if I had used the 500 yard crosshair it would been right on..........still got my moose but had to shoot it again at 50 yards.

I think for big moose I will draw the line at 500 yards.

Alaska":305z47m0 said:
I have the leupold BC on my 338 win also..........harvested my moose this year at 475 yards...........hit alittle low because my lazer must have hit something between us it read 463 so I used the 400 yard and aimed alittle high.......if I had used the 500 yard crosshair it would been right on..........still got my moose but had to shoot it again at 50 yards.

I think for big moose I will draw the line at 500 yards.

Load? :?:

Alaska,

COngratulations on your moose. Sounds like the 225 gr AB did the trick for you.

JD338

Alaska,

What kind of MV are you getting with your load?

JD338

Back