THE 338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM - AN AMERICAN CLASSIC

Seems like an extremely warm load.

Have a hard time getting 78g in a 338 WM case in the first place, let alone seating a 225g bullet on top. You muse use a good size drop tube?

Either way, seems a bit on the high side for a 338 WM to not be seeing any pressure signs. If it works for you in your rifle thats great, but realize its around 4-5g over several book MAX's.

remingtonman_25_06":eak4uos9 said:
Seems like an extremely warm load.

Have a hard time getting 78g in a 338 WM case in the first place, let alone seating a 225g bullet on top. You muse use a good size drop tube?

Either way, seems a bit on the high side for a 338 WM to not be seeing any pressure signs. If it works for you in your rifle thats great, but realize its around 4-5g over several book MAX's.

Yes, when I checked it out with my load notes through the years and the book, that is a high load. I would suggest that anyone who reads this load data should start at least 6grs below and work up to be on the safe side.

Just for reference, if you check out the latest Speer manual, it does list 78gr of RL19 with their 225gr bullet. I have one load shooting 76gr's of RL19, WW cases, CCI250 primes and the 225gr Hornady SST. It clocked 2890 AVG out of my M70. I saw no flashing lights with this load, cases look great and no marks or excessive wear. Not saying it isn't a top load, but it is listed in the Speer book and by Alliant also. I have found that 73gr's of RL19 with a 225 only nets about 2700-2750FPS. Mike and RM2506 are right though, you should start down at the 70-72gr range as if you have a tighter chamber or different case (other than WW) you will probably get up to max alot quicker.

I echo Pop's thoughts on RL19, RL19 is my top choice also and has consistently been a top performer in speed and accuracy. Scotty

beretzs":vqzdr26e said:
Just for reference, if you check out the latest Speer manual, it does list 78gr of RL19 with their 225gr bullet. I have one load shooting 76gr's of RL19, WW cases, CCI250 primes and the 225gr Hornady SST. It clocked 2890 AVG out of my M70. I saw no flashing lights with this load, cases look great and no marks or excessive wear. Not saying it isn't a top load, but it is listed in the Speer book and by Alliant also. I have found that 73gr's of RL19 with a 225 only nets about 2700-2750FPS. Mike and RM2506 are right though, you should start down at the 70-72gr range as if you have a tighter chamber or different case (other than WW) you will probably get up to max alot quicker.

I echo Pop's thoughts on RL19, RL19 is my top choice also and has consistently been a top performer in speed and accuracy. Scotty

Cases will definitely make a difference in pressure along with using a different bullet will also impact the pressure results. RL19 is good stuff for the 338Win mag but in all cases build up to max don't try an start with max or near max loads.

A long throat will also allow for more case capacity.

JD338

bullet":wkc3e2bq said:
beretzs":wkc3e2bq said:

Cases will definitely make a difference in pressure along with using a different bullet will also impact the pressure results. RL19 is good stuff for the 338Win mag but in all cases build up to max don't try an start with max or near max loads.

I agree Mike, shouldn't ever say stuff about top loads without that caveat. Scotty

Make sure you use my load to the T.

My load is a TOP MAX OCW load ........ref on alliant website and Handloader Magazine Feb 2007.

WW brass has more room inside......
Fed 215GM primers.......different primers can cause a Spike in Pressure same with cases
225gr Bullets you can use different ones....Hornady, Speer GS, Nosler Part and AccuBond
Reloader 19 @ 78.0 gives me 2950 FPS which is the same as the High Energy loads from the factory....in the Win 70 with the 26" barrel. If you do not not want to use a premium bullet I suggest the Hornady 225gr SP........very good groups for a non prem bullet! No
No Drop Tube needed

Trim WW Brass : 2.490"
COL: 3.340"

The last 4 Moose I have shot I used the 225gr AccuBond ........really like it!

I have a old Browning FN in 300 Win Mag and just bought some 200gr AB and H1000 for it......the best BC of all the Accubonds........maybe next year I will let it out hunting.

This is a Top MAX OCW load......!

Back