The G40 MOS's 2nd job...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
That thing is quite well suited to nightstand duty but the 200 grain Hornady bullets are a little much for 2 legged varmints.

I've settled on a mid range load for nightstand duty because full power 10mm is more than my wife cares to shoot.

8 grains of Unique under a Nosler 150 grain bullet should do nicely for unwelcome visitors.

That is a little over 1,400 fps from the 7" barrel.... Which is a little past the design limitations of the bullet, but that's a good thing in this case as it should be quite a vicious defensive load.

Did a more thorough run of this load just now.

It is actually 1,375 fps and the more I shoot it the more I like it.

It piles the brass up nice and neat just 4 feet to my right and slightly behind me, the ES (28) and SD (8.31) numbers are pretty low.

Recoil is very mild in the G40, and the brass from this load will last quite some time.... So it can also pull duty as a less expensive practice round and a varmint getter (coyotes, groundhogs, etc.)

Nice load.
The 150s can really run in the 10.
Should discourage anything she would need to discourage.

The Nosler 150's shot pretty good today...

I fired about 80 rounds at ranges from 50 to 150 yards.

Much needed practice, still need some more.

There's some science behind that load...it is based on the 357 mag 125 JHP one shot stop stats.

The 357 has a 125 grain bullet with an SD of .140 at around 1,400 fps and is a pretty well proven man stopper.

The 10mm has a 150 grain bullet with an SD of .138 at around 1,400 fps...so, if the 357 load is the best of the tested rounds, the 10mm loaded as such should be even better. The larger frontal diameter should just make it more of a good thing.

I'd prefer to never find out, but I expect that load would be downright vicious as a man stopper...I could push it quite a bit faster (1,500+ fps), but it might get a little too explosive at such speeds.

I have a Glock 20 with 4.6" and 6" Storm Lake barrels and it is very quickly becoming my favorite handgun. I have been shooting whatever weak factory fodder I can find along with the Underwood 180 XTP. The Underwood ammo is excellent and very accurate. I had no desire to load for mine until I saw that Amazon had the Lee 4 die set for $29 and free 2 day shipping.

I really like the look and feel of the Glock 40 and the people I've talked to say they are very accurate. I've seriously considered trading my 5.5" Redhawk for a Glock 40.

HeathSexton":1eswbwi6 said:
I have a Glock 20 with 4.6" and 6" Storm Lake barrels and it is very quickly becoming my favorite handgun. I have been shooting whatever weak factory fodder I can find along with the Underwood 180 XTP. The Underwood ammo is excellent and very accurate. I had no desire to load for mine until I saw that Amazon had the Lee 4 die set for $29 and free 2 day shipping.

I really like the look and feel of the Glock 40 and the people I've talked to say they are very accurate. I've seriously considered trading my 5.5" Redhawk for a Glock 40.

I shot my brother's M40MOS with a Vortex Viper, big mistake, now I have one ! :mrgreen:
It will assume the role of my 4" Smith 629.

Ridgerunner665":3q6fmllo said:
There's some science behind that load...it is based on the 357 mag 125 JHP one shot stop stats.

The 357 has a 125 grain bullet with an SD of .140 at around 1,400 fps and is a pretty well proven man stopper.

The 10mm has a 150 grain bullet with an SD of .138 at around 1,400 fps...so, if the 357 load is the best of the tested rounds, the 10mm loaded as such should be even better. The larger frontal diameter should just make it more of a good thing.

I'd prefer to never find out, but I expect that load would be downright vicious as a man stopper...I could push it quite a bit faster (1,500+ fps), but it might get a little too explosive at such speeds.

That's logical and would work great. I would do the same but have several Glocks and as with rifles I like to have one basic load with each, so my 10MM will have just the hunting load.
I have a long slide .357 Sig for the house defense gun, not quite your load but wicked enough with the 125 Gold Dot (Secret Service load) or the Sig Crown 125 gr.

I have a long slide .357 Sig for the house defense gun, not quite your load but wicked enough with the 125 Gold Dot (Secret Service load) or the Sig Crown 125 gr.
Great cartridge.
Get some Accurate #9 and the 124-125 (can't remember which) and you can pretty much duplicate that 357 load. That's the load I run in my 357 Sig.

Back