The "Joy of Gun Cleaning" NOT!

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
Why is it that as much fun it is to get a new gun..... that the barrel cleaning has to be so labor intensive?

Don't get me wrong, some guns clean up fast, but only after the break in part is over. Unless we are talking about most factory rifles, and I have only a few because of that reason. I love working up a load, the shooting over a bench isn't too bad..... unless it's a big bore. Better yet is I have a 100 yard range with out even leaving the house, but I do have to get out to set up the chronograph, and to keep the grass hay down. But take today, I wanted to get down to load development and instead I was cleaning out the copper left from the chap that put together the gun. And most only shoot it once to check the brass after chambering the barrel.

Does anyone really like spending so much time cleaning out their barrel or is that a misnomer?

It kinda reminds me why I used to shoot archery so much, no cleaning to do afterwards!

I confess that I'm a clean freak. In part, this is because I am usually shooting rifles belonging to other people. When I return the rifles, I want them to be clean, and not streaked with copper. I do believe it is generally beneficial to keep the bore clean.

It may go back to my days in the Corps, but I have to clean as soon as I get home from the range or a hunt. If I am doing load development, the entire cleaning kit goes to the range with me.

When I am shooting p-dogs, the barrel is cleaned in the field every couple hundred rounds. It takes away from a few shots, but it usually helps with accuracy and whatever quircky needs my brain has around cleaning :roll: .

Same here, I don't mind cleaning. I usually just do it the day after a big range day. Just about any of the rifles that gets shot more than 10x at the range gets cleaned out with at least solvent and some patches. I tend to always try and get rid of any copper left in the tube as well. It isn't a bad job for the most part if good products are being used. I usually do keep them fouled throughout hunting season, but directly after I am done, I clean them up. Scotty

Some of the newer products, like Wipe Out or Patch Out, take much of the labor out of cleaning a bore.

Swab it in. Let it sit and work. Swab it out. Done.

Since I almost always have rifles belonging to other people, I've developed the habit of carrying cleaning gear to the range. Cleaning outside makes it more tolerable around my home. I'm fortunate to shoot at a range that has lots of room, permitting me to care for this chore at the time of the shoot.

If you're fighting heavy copper, consider trying BoreTech Eliminator. I've been amazed by it. I don't even use brushes with it, just patched jags. Easy!

I'm a clean freak too. I always first use Shooters Choice to remove the powder reside, then CR10 for the copper in the bore, but I wish it would just go away sooner rather then waiting ten minutes and doing it all over again. Gun cleaning is just more then just clean and you're done, it's clean and clean and clean until your done!

Yeah I have to cast my vote to the affirmative to being perhaps even an over cleaner. i never let my centerfire rifles go more than 40 rounds between cleanings, I just feel like the better care you take of it, the longer it will last to where your grandkids will be handling and shooting it in reverence and still putting up sub MOA groups and putting venison in the freezer.

As for liking to do it...I feel its like changing the oil in your car. It can be fun sometimes but its more of a necessary evil than a favorite past time. I just want to take care of the guns I have been blessed with and that have accompanied me faithfully on so many adventures. :grin:

I just throw on some tunes and get busy with it! No need to make it too painful! Heck, with all the fumes in the man cave it keeps others out and allows some nice private time with the rifles!!! Scotty

My 0.02$ on cleaning;

After a match or a good day at the range, I swab it heavily with kroil or MMV till I can get home and do it right. I beleive big time in getting something working down into the pores while the steel is warm. Later that night or next chance, I'll brush it clean with the liquid wipe-out and accelerator till I am comfy with the powder fouling out. I then swab er up again with wipe out and walk away till next day. Dependent on the color I may do it again or oil the bore and stash her.

Copper. After I get the fouling out, I hit her with a one size larger nylon brush and an agressive copper eater, (Montana Extreme is my current hi power copper eater elixer, but this is a garage use only product, whew!) brush in series of 10 strokes, patch it and dependent on the color, hit er again. When I think I have it all out, I roll up a patch to insert in the muzzy end, acting like a plug, I then pour the copper killer in there and let soak 15-20 min (NO MORE). The color of the muzzy patch will tell you how successfull I am.. After I am happy with getting all the copper, I then ensure I displace all the nasty chemicals with something easier on the steel then oil the bore with LPS II.. NOTE: This method works good at the range when in a time crunch and I just use the copper killer as the only bore cleaner.

Carbon Ring in front of leade/throat area: I go after this every 100 or so rounds with IOSSO. Using a nylon brush with a patch wrapped around it I short stroke the barrel all the way several times watch the color on the patch again. then I go back and focus on the throat area till I am happy. WARNING, only use a nylon brush to short stroke. This is best doen when you have access to a borescope to see what was there, whats still there after you think your done and to see when you are done.

Back to the orig post, try the copper killer method for your applications.

Rod

PS: Scotty, they way you desribe the above scene, sounds like your playing with your gun instead of cleaning rifles... :shock:

Cleaning and brass prep are the two things I hate about this addiction.

I really like the Wipe-out, but I don't always have several hours to wait for it to work. I have started using Butch's bore shine, and CR-10. If it has been a long time since I gave it a good scrubbing (or lots of rounds) I'll throw in a little JB paste. If I have the time for Wipe-out I'll go that route every time.

I hate breaking barrels in because of all the cleaning, but the joy of a new toy offests tha PITA of break in :wink:

Guy Miner":3dp95zol said:
Some of the newer products, like Wipe Out or Patch Out, take much of the labor out of cleaning a bore.

I swear by Wipe Out, an awesome product! Makes cleaning real easy.

chiefjefe,

Welcome to the forum. Wipeout is a good product, without question. I was intrigued to note that it is manufactured in Paola, KS, which is not far from where I grew up. Someone had a great idea and managed to succeed. It is a good product, nevertheless.

chiefjefe":1cwza5gb said:
Guy Miner":1cwza5gb said:

I'm not a Wipe Out user, but good to see you over here, Chief! Welcome!

dubyam":3q68zt64 said:
chiefjefe":3q68zt64 said:
Guy Miner":3q68zt64 said:

I'm not a Wipe Out user, but good to see you over here, Chief! Welcome!

Good to see you dubyam, it's been a while. Nice to know you are alive and kicking out in cyber world lol. Hope all is well.

chiefjefe":1eeh11rf said:
beretzs":1eeh11rf said:
chiefjefe":1eeh11rf said:

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are here! Scotty

Thank you Scotty!

Should have a good range report for ya on my new 7WSM shortly. What are you shooting out of yours for factory stuff? Not too many of them around. Looking forward to working with it. Scotty

Back